+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, BT Infinity - Do any Geeks out there have it? in Technical; Im being pursued by BT to come back and be an BT Infinity customer after several years of uninterupted Virgin ...

Thank Post

BT Infinity - Do any Geeks out there have it?

Im being pursued by BT to come back and be an BT Infinity customer after several years of uninterupted Virgin Media service.

Im being told that I can have 30Mbs Down and at least 5Mb Up on Infinity for a few pence less than I currently pay Virgin.

The Infinity forums are full of conflicting reports with regards to VoiP and Sip based telephony. It would appear that even BT's own Voip service doesnt work correctly with the Infinity Broadband! This is important to me as I have several SIP accounts an a number of phones working across my Virgin Cable account with no problems.

So, what I need from somebody out there that has jumped to BT Infinity, is it possible to keep my existing Sonicwall NSA Firewall and put the BT equipment into transparent bridge mode?
    Do SIP Phones work as normal or do BT mess with the ports and the QOS?

The last BT sales guy tried to tell me that my Virgin Cable was 50:1 contended and that my new Infinity line will be 1:1 ???? Is this sales BS or what?

I have to say that for no extra cost just switching back to BT this looks interesting but not at the cost of my existing setup which works great.

Any comments appreciated especially if you are a BT Infinity user.

2. Thanks to m25man from:

seacider (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    I can never see it being 1:1

edit, just checked Compare BT Infinity Broadband Deals - Top 10 Broadband Providers. www.bt.com f3 that and search contention ratio and you will see it is 50:1, same as virgin, I have the virgin 50meg line for a while and it was excellent, I regulary got over 6.5meg/s using Steam and certain other sites....

4. Thanks to Tony_Mc from:

m25man (30th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Spot on, 50:1 the lying toad I never believed the 1:1 BS he was spouting anyway.
    Liar Liar Pants on Fire Mr BT Infinity Salesman... wish I had recorded his sales pitch it was so lame! That enough to keep me with Virgin on it own mind you I probably wont live long enough to get through on the phone to the Virgin Broadband Cancellation department anyway....

Thank Post
    My girlfriend has it, she gets about 37 down, 7 up. I'd still kill to have it though.

Thank Post
    Wouldn't mind the speed but paying BT for it.... no thanks once we move BT aren't going to see another penny

I'm waiting for it to be availible via O2, BeThere etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a fyi Sky are now looking at FTTC too: FAQs | Sky Broadband Fibre-Optic Trial

9. 2 Thanks to ZeroHour:

garethedmondson (30th August 2011), Jamman960 (30th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    As a fyi Sky are now looking at FTTC too: FAQs | Sky Broadband Fibre-Optic Trial
    Yeah, I saw that. They're reselling BT lines.

Thank Post
    They all have to resell BT, as BT own the cabinets, so any LLU is "virtual LLU". IIRC the EU or whoever it is tells them not to be anticompetitive has set a date for when they need to provide true unbundling. Personally I would not hold my breath.

My advice: if what you have now is on the good side of acceptable, don't move - it is inviting trouble

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The equipment is BT's but the data will run to sky before going to the internet rather then through BT itself which is not so bad. Sky just done get to plug in their own box to the cabinet like they do with LLU ADSL right now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    They all have to resell BT, as BT own the cabinets, so any LLU is "virtual LLU". IIRC the EU or whoever it is tells them not to be anticompetitive has set a date for when they need to provide true unbundling. Personally I would not hold my breath.

My advice: if what you have now is on the good side of acceptable, don't move - it is inviting trouble
    Well, except Virgin Media and SmallWorldCable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Before I went with virgin media I did the post code checker on the BT site for infinity broadband and the most they could offer me for my area was about 8mbps down and about 2 up or something daft in comparison to VM who offered me 50 down and 5 up, so was no comparison.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    So, what I need from somebody out there that has jumped to BT Infinity, is it possible to keep my existing Sonicwall NSA Firewall and put the BT equipment into transparent bridge mode?
    Of the two FTTC installs I've seen so far (one of which is in our server room), both have consisted of a separate router and BT Openreach branded modem that by default operates as a PPPoE bridge. If you simply connect the modem directly to your existing equipment, it should do exactly what you are after.

It's also worth noting that I have a Vonage line connected via this, which does use SIP unless I'm mistaken, and it works just fine.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 31st August 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Of the two FTTC installs I've seen so far (one of which is in our server room), both have consisted of a separate router and BT Openreach branded modem that by default operates as a PPPoE bridge. If you simply connect the modem directly to your existing equipment, it should do exactly what you are after.
    Our southampton office have a Smoothwall + Zen FTTC set up in this way, and our sales director Richard has the same but with BT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BT Infinity is "allegidly" in my area (according to the website), but when I phoned up to order it I get told I am not able to have it because it is not in my area! Apparently a glitch in the system!

I gave up with BT and oddly, never had an issue with my sky connect package (well apart from once a month or so the router resets itself)

Thank Post
    I joined Bt when i moved, seemed like a good ida at the time, however my normal speed is around 1MB when i should be getting more than 8MB according to them, they decided there was a problem at there end not mine, 2 weeks have passed and im still stuck getting slow speeds. gonna ring them up end of this week and leave, letting them know i will not be paying any early contract termination charges, they havnt supplied me with broadband as advertised, gonna move to sky i think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast