+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Flash Uploaders and Proxy Server in Technical; We have just got an authenticating proxy server (RM SmartCache, FWIW) and are finding we can't upload files using Flash ...
    Thank Post

Flash Uploaders and Proxy Server

We have just got an authenticating proxy server (RM SmartCache, FWIW) and are finding we can't upload files using Flash uploaders, only basic HTML ones. Sometimes the uploaders works, sometimes they prompt the user to enter logon credentials for the proxy server, however as the proxy authenticates via AD not its own user database, you can't do this.

Other than bypassing the proxy (and filtering) server in order to use such uploaders, does anyone have a solution?

Thank Post
    Hate to say it but - contact RM support?

Also what kinds of sites are playing up with the flash uploader?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Hate to say it but - contact RM support?
    I suspect they'll say it is a Flash problem and not anything they can assist with, but I will try them.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Also what kinds of sites are playing up with the flash uploader?
    We spotted it on our web site CMS, although on closer inspection Flickr and Facebook are both affected. Also, I suspect it is affecting Google Mail too, as periodically I get told an attachment failed and I should use the basic uploader instead, but I don't get the logon box so that could be something else.

Thank Post
    I presume the RM device is using some manner of authentication - generally flash uploaders are a complete POS and don't really support any types of auth at all.

In our experience, the best way to do this is to have a list of sites in the filter for which we don't bother asking for auth.

Thank Post
    The RM device is using AD authentication. As such, even entering valid network credentials in the box doesn't help, since the box doesn't know these. I could add our CMS to the list of "bypass the proxy for these sites" however as other affected sites are Flickr and Facebook, I can't use that in all instances. Google Mail isn't a problem since that offers an HTML uploader when it detects the problem, but other sites, e.g. Flickr, don't.

As it is, our hosting company have changed our site so that it uses a basic HTML uploader instead, so that issue is sorted, but it is only a matter of time before someone notices it somewhere else, e.g. Flickr or any other site which uses a Flash uploader. Unless we can get this fixed, it could have a strong influence on what VLE we use...

Bring on HMTL5 :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread