+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Live@Edu please can you help? in Technical; Hello and good evening I am wondering if you can help me please. Me and my fellow collegue have been ...
    Thank Post

Live@Edu please can you help?

Hello and good evening I am wondering if you can help me please.

Me and my fellow collegue have been tasked with setting up live@edu by our boss at the moment we have our emails coming through to a ubuntu email box which as far as I am aware just reroutes the emails to the relevent email boxes on our curriculum server I apologise if this is a rather vague description but it is setup and maintained by a 3rd party company and so I do not know too much about it.

What do we need to do to get it setup?

Thank you

Josh.

Thank Post
    More info required for a clueful response:

What's the scale i.e. number of mailboxes (staff + students)?
    What do people use to access their e-mail? Some web-browser-based client? Outlook? Something else (what)?
    If it's not pure web-based then do the mail clients use POP3 or IMAP?
    When are you thinking of doing it for real?

3. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

joshjacklin (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Also you may want to consider whether you're going to host some of the mailboxes on-premise or all in the 'cloud'.

5. Thanks to TheMinister from:

Thank Post
    Hi Josh,

Setting up Live@Edu isn't as complicated as it sounds. First things first though, who do you want email accounts for? Is it just staff or Students as well? If it's just staff and you aren't in to big a school then the simplest way to set it up is to enroll your domain and setup a test domain.

To do this, go to the live@edu site and follow the sign up procedure, they will give you an MX record to put in your DNS. I would use something like test.yourdomain.com to begin with so you can get a feel for it, it is then easy yo add your main domain as part of the same system later on.

Once you have the domain configured add users. Simplest way of doing this is a CSV upload through the main user interface, but this does have some down sides. 1) You can't synchronize passwords in this way 2) To add new people you have to manually add them. However like I said earlier if you don't have to many people this isn't so bad. I did it with 50 members of staff and it was pretty straight forward.

Once you have got used to how the systems work just add your main domain, upload the users and change your main MX record and you are good to go. It doesn't matter what client people use to connect as Live@Edu works perfectly with Outlook (2003,2007 & 2010), Mail for Mac or just through the web interface. As far as the computers are concerned it is just a normal Exchange server and will treat it accordingly.

Oh one more thing, don't forget to add the autodiscover to the DNS so things can be set up easier.

Any problems, just call Microsoft directly. There support has been superb for me.

Good luck
    Rich

7. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

Thank Post
    We registered a free co.cc account rather than use our existing .org.uk account.

Then it was a simple process of putting the settings from the .co.cc domain into Live Edu. If you get stuck, contact Microsoft and they'll have a rep call you back within a few hours.

Then just get an Excel CSV together of usernames and passwords and import it in.

I can't believe how easy it was, how helpful Microsoft were, and how it cost nothing to have a whole-school mail system!

9. Thanks to Gibbo from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It takes about 30mins to setup, its not a big job

We also used a new domain name .co.uk for ours which made it much easier.

11. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    Thank you for your replys, at the moment we have an in house system which uses pop and smtp so if i was to manually setup a user I point the pop to 192.168.0.5 and the smtp to 192.168.0.5 and as long as they enter the correct credentials it downloads the email, our system means that currently we cannot use email externally. The aim is to be able to use the email externally, and they want the inboxes to be stored in the "cloud". The number of users would be around 500-600 all staff and students I would imagine. As far as time frames they want it doing as soon as possible naturally!

How do I migrate the current inboxes to the cloud because it doesnt matter how good this new system is if the admin users cant access there previous emails then in the enviornment I work in it will be considered rubbish.

I will hopefully be migrating all of the staff and all of the students to this system, and realistically I would like the user management to be as easy as possible and this csv sounds like a good idea but how manageable will it be?

Thank you,

Josh

Thank Post
    When you say it downloads the emails, what do you mean? Does it download the emails to a pst file of some kind for each user? Do the children do this as well or do they have a web interface to use?

With that amount of users I would look at OLsync if you can, if not, the CSV upload will do just fine.

14. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To migrate just load the old inbox as well as the new live@edu into outlook. Then drag and drop the emails across.

I'm doing this for all our teachers and admin staff in a few weeks time, should be quite quick to do I think.

Students we are not bothering about as its the end of the school year soon. Our old exchange webmail will stay up for a term in case anyone needs anything from it.

16. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    I do not know much about the mail server as its managed by a company of which we pay for support but if I explain things it might make a bit more sense, when I arrived we had 2 isolated domains, an admin domain and a curriculum domain and we had a bridge between the two.
    the admin users use outlook and connect to the email server the outlook mail profiles are stored in there home areas so they can be backed up.

When I would setup an account I would just point it to the mailserver 192.168.0.5 via pop and smtp and then I would type in the users credentials and test to ensure it works and thats it.

Whilst the curriculum staff and students use thunderbird and when there accounts are created in active directory the mail addresses and inboxes are automatically created and there mailboxes are stored in a shared folder on the network. When launched the application simply asks for the correct credentials and fetches there emails.

we recently did a domain merger but the email system stayed the same and thats how has been ever since and as time are changing the users and staff especially want to be able to access there emails from home and as budgets are tighter than a glamour models suitcase I know this kind of seems irrelevant however hopefully it gives you a better insight into what I am working with.

I just need to take this above and spank it onto live at edu, and management want us to do it yesterday.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you can get all the old email data into pst files then just do that and put it somewhere.

Then setup Live@edu and attach the pst files to outlook or thunderbird at a later date when its all settled down.

19. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    Ok cool thank you very much, I now understand the concept it does not seem too bad, my manager kindly set up the initial account so literally I can log on into the service management portal but I have no idea of where I am going or what I am doing. Could some one please guide me, I hate feeling like a noob at these things but I have to start somewhere. Thank you!

Josh.

Thank Post
    Ok I have just looked up the domain and our schools domain is already in there and the MX record appears to pointing to our email server, as further as I can tell what do I need to do next? If we just start with the users that have outlook, what do I need to copy or do?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends if you are doing an in place upgrade or changing your domain name.

Once you've decided that and changed the MX record its a simple case of importing the users with a CSV.

23. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    What data am I putting into the CSV is it just there email addresses?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast