+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Google Apps in Technical; Is anyone out there using Google mail for the children? If so are you happy to share your knowledge? I ...

Thank Post

Google Apps

Is anyone out there using Google mail for the children? If so are you happy to share your knowledge?

I am planning on moving the children to Google mail over summer. They dont have much in their accounts so am deleting the old RM Easymail accounts and starting fresh.

Would you recomend using the Google Apps Directory Sync or keeping google mail separate and populating using a csv file?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    We are.

I use Google Apps Directory Sync but there are technical and security considerations if you want to sync passwords. You have to install a bit of software on your DCs to capture password changes, and then get everyone to change* their password so that GADS can pick it up the first time. Plus if you are worried about people brute-forcing passwords, you'll also need to implement a workaround to hide the captured password.

It's not exactly point and click, but it's still easier to set up than Live@edu password sync.

Any other questions, fire away.

* They can 'change' it to the same password they already have, so long as your domain permits password reuse.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

svp06 (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi @AngryTechnician ... we are currently looking into using GoogleDocs with synchronised passwords and really like your idea of reducing the window when the information is available.

I am struggling a little with what to do with your script. Am relatively new to scripting so can make out some bits but not others. Firstly, and apologies for the stupid question, is it a vbscript? Secondly, where am I supposed to insert our domain details. Have looked on line 8 and cant find DC=angrytech,DC=internal at all. If you have updated the script to not need this any more then apologies. Have tried running it as is (as a vbscript) but get error at line 10,1.

Any help you can offer would be well and truly appreciated!!! (Great blog by the way!)

Thank Post
    ok, bit further along.

Think I have sorted the code for the lookup. Then had issues saying that it could not find the attribute. Assumed it was referring to unixPassword so changed this to the suggested drink. Have now put a test value on a single student in the division field and tried to run the script. It is now saying that "The requested operation did not satisfy one or more contraints assosciated with the class of the object. Is this purely down to the fact that I have manually entered data into the division field?

Thank Post
    ok... seem to be one step closer...

Fairly certain it is rejecting drink as it seems to be a multi-value attribute. Sooooo.... and I am fairly certain this will be the final question, which is the best alternative attribute to use? Struggling to find one which is:

Not in use
    No a base attribute
    Is single valued
    Confidential

Thank Post
    gone for employee-number and made it confidential... shouldnt have any issues with this should I?

Script now works a treat, just want to make sure that field should be ok before starting the dll off and scheduling it etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Sorry you had problems with the script... the blog CMS had stripped out the key part of line 8 due to it having angled brackets and thinking it was a malformed HTML tag. Sounds like you got it sorted though.

Not sure why you had trouble finding the unixUserPassword attribute, but any confidential attribute should work. I was trying to avoid schema changes to an existing attribute, but changing employeeNumber should work just fine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread