Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, google apps email address going to wrong server? in Technical; I have Google apps set up for our students and have just realised that if a user tries to go ...
12th May 2011, 03:20 PM #1
google apps email address going to wrong server?
I have Google apps set up for our students and have just realised that if a user tries to go to email.prentonmoodle.co.uk ->Prenton Moodle they end up at Prenton Moodle
I have a redirect in place, with 1and1 that should point the users to http://mail.google.com/a/prentonmoodle.co.uk but it isn't doing that.
Can anyone suggest why it would do this?
IDG Tech News
12th May 2011, 03:29 PM #2
Well without sounding rude, are you sure it's setup correctly? :P Seeing "insert random subdomain" should default to error, seems it's set up, just wrongly.
Originally Posted by reggiep
How's your redirect done? (Post settings if you don't mind)
12th May 2011, 03:32 PM #3
It seems OK to me BUT I have a track history of being wrong!
12th May 2011, 03:52 PM #4
Looks fine, Silly suggestion but can you try redirecting it to mail.google.com (Ignoring the last bit)
Originally Posted by reggiep
Just wondering if for some reason it's a realllllly stupid setup where it takes the last domain aka "prentonmoodle.co.uk" and ignores first part before slashes.
Might be worth trying to quickly.
12th May 2011, 03:57 PM #5
12th May 2011, 04:02 PM #6
I went mad and redirected it to news.bbc.co.uk
12th May 2011, 04:06 PM #7
Any idea what your TTL is set to? Saves my spam refreshing page :P
And any chance of making a new redirect, to something random? Just to check if it's just this one thats borked, or all :P Kinda hard to tell from here *wiggles*
Last edited by Steve21; 12th May 2011 at 04:15 PM.
12th May 2011, 04:17 PM #8
1and1 say 10 minutes.
I have looked at the actual DNS settings page and see this...
and this is the IP address that email.prentonmoodle.co.uk goes to. Perhaps I misunderstand what the "Domain destination" settings are for?
12th May 2011, 04:27 PM #9
The Domain Destination is normally a folder on the webserver, but seeing you've set this to a HTTP redirect there should be no issues with it.
Are those DNS settings for "the domain" or "sub domain" ?
Also could you try making a random redirect (if you're not limited) just to see if it happens to that one too, or if it's just this one borked.
12th May 2011, 04:28 PM #10
We use Google Apps and 1and1 and we had to change the DNS settings - we added a CNAME record that pointed to ghs.google.com and have never had any issues. Maybe you could try this way instead?
12th May 2011, 04:47 PM #11
I've changed some further DNS settings but won't be able to see if they have worked until it replicates.
13th May 2011, 09:30 AM #12
I should also add that our domain is not set to forward at all.
19th May 2011, 03:20 PM #13
It was my set up in 1and1 that was at fault. I had the address pointing to an IP address and forwarding to an address, it didn't like that.
By bmittleider in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Last Post: 10th March 2011, 07:30 AM
By localzuk in forum General Chat
Last Post: 9th March 2011, 11:32 AM
By InterwebsGuy in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 1st February 2011, 01:56 PM
By f2mke in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
Last Post: 14th September 2010, 10:46 PM
By p858snake in forum IT News
Last Post: 26th September 2009, 04:21 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)