+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Are Microsoft pulling my leg. MS live@edu support are pants in Technical; the first line of support at live@edu sucks donkey balls, and even they aknowldege that, and are working on it. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the first line of support at live@edu sucks donkey balls, and even they aknowldege that, and are working on it.

Once you have logged the support call and got the ticket number, simply say you wish to be escalated to the support guys in the USA

These guys (and girls) are amazing, clued up, and go out of their way to help (One of them called me from home at midnight their time just to ensure they could contact us during office hours, and was on the phone for 2 hours helping me (complex ILM issue))

So yeh, dont waste time with the indian first line support, ask for an escalation immediately.

Also, the button on the page about checking the CNAME, whatever you do, DONT PRESS IT MORE THAN ONCE

If you keep pressing it, it keeps setting the system back to the beginning (it checks like once every 8* hours or something and pressing it resets that timer)

* off the top of my head, not sure what the exact number is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I really don't understand why so many schools automatically decide on @edu without looking at google - which is a much more mature product..
    Our Schools IT Support Service said that they didn't have the time or resources to evaluate Google and Live@, so they evaluated Live@ and decided to go with that.

That's a relief.........wasn't anything to do with them being Microsoft Partners, then.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm with Glennda on this one, I like to keep everything in house. Just too many questions about security and confidentiality for my liking. As well as the fact that what we do now works ok, so why fix it?

Thank Post
    one reason to go over is 10GB mailbox - and 15GB storage - looking at moving exchange from 2003 to 2010 but a mail server and backup for 1500 students to match that would be very pricey.

Thank Post
    On this topic I have been asked how much work is involved with transferring to Live@edu and GoogleMail. I am finding it difficult to quantify this for the non-technical SLT Staff.
    Just setup a test domain with an ISP that supports DNS, CNAME, MX editing, should be about 8 per year, Sign up with Google and @edu and play.

From a primary school perspective I actually prefer the new Google docs to MS office as it has a simpler clean feel.

I needed to create a valentines card for the wife, I new exactly what I wanted so fired up publisher. After 1hr I gave up it just didn't do what I wanted so I turned to my Google docs account. It was done in 15 mins.

Thank Post
    one reason to go over is 10GB mailbox - and 15GB storage - looking at moving exchange from 2003 to 2010 but a mail server and backup for 1500 students to match that would be very pricey.
    If you have EDIT exchange EDIT mail server then I would use live@edu for that.

Google Docs is basically unlimited if you tick the box to convert to docs format or 7gb for standard files. You can always save back out as MS format.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My live@edu support request was dealt with pretty quickly and efficiently but it was clearly based in Germany.

They even sent me a satisfaction survey to fill in but I can't read German

Thank Post
    Yup it works from that point of view but because we teach beginners IT courses I'm not sure if the differing interfaces would cause problems for people. As it stands the Web App and desktop Office being pretty much identical in look (if not in features) is a big bonus for us. If the Moodle Live@Edu login process was a bit slicker it'd be ideal but can't see it getting better any time soon.

Thank Post
    I've always found the Live@edu support to be quite good (I couldn't even get Google to answer my sales queries let alone my support ones!)

Thank Post
    Btw for anyone testing out Live@Edu use my quick guide, use the same domain for Google Apps as well and evaluate away

http://www.redbridge-iae.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=141

10. Thanks to gshaw from:

AngryTechnician (16th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Our Schools IT Support Service said that they didn't have the time or resources to evaluate Google and Live@, so they evaluated Live@ and decided to go with that. That's a relief.........wasn't anything to do with them being Microsoft Partners, then.
    When I wrote that specific paragraph I knew someone would misrepresent it like that, hesitated, but decided to write it anyway for everyone else. SITSS are not a Microsoft Partner and don't decide anything for schools unless their Head wants us to as part of a traded support contract. If what I wrote genuinely isn't clear then do feel free to ask here, or PM me, or if you're going to tomorrow's tech/netman briefing then ask me there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    When I wrote that specific paragraph I knew someone would misrepresent it like that, hesitated, but decided to write it anyway for everyone else. SITSS are not a Microsoft Partner and don't decide anything for schools unless their Head wants us to as part of a traded support contract. If what I wrote genuinely isn't clear then do feel free to ask here, or PM me, or if you're going to tomorrow's tech/netman briefing then ask me there.
    so why didn't you evaluate it then?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    SITSS are not a Microsoft Partner .
    I stand corrected.

Thank Post
    Hi edutech4schools,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your support experience. Could you please send me your SR number or contact information so that I can help?
    Thanks,
    Damon

damons at microsoft dot com (sorry, the forum would not permit me to post an email address)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Hi Damon,

Great to have you on board, can I email you some details about my case too?

Thanks.

Ben

Thank Post
    We use live@edu provided by LA, and I would not suggest using it. Its pants at best!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast