+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Free Web Based Noticeboard Software in Technical; I wrote something for our school last year - there's a prototype at https://www.caliban.ws/noticeboard/ The "site password" to create yourself ...

Thank Post
    I wrote something for our school last year - there's a prototype at https://www.caliban.ws/noticeboard/

The "site password" to create yourself an account is: edugeek

I've reconfigured my email server lately so email system is borked - if you're interested I can put some work into it again over the Summer - we've been using it here for over a year and it seems to function quite nicely...

Thank Post
    Could you password protect that system?

Thank Post
    Depends what you mean by password protect, but yes. Here's how we work it at AGGS (note the version you're seeing is my test server, not the school's production system):

Staff, and only staff, know the "site password." This means only they can create accounts and therefore add posts. Obviously, their accounts are password protected (safely salted and hashed in the DB).

To read the posts within school requires no identification, since the (internal) server recognises an internal IP address range and allows you straight in. If you try and access the server from outside (i.e. with a public IP like a mobile or other external computer) then a 4 digit passcode must be entered. We share this with the students so (particularly sixthformers) can read the posts from their mobiles.

To demonstrate, I've now locked down the IP address so a passcode is now required to read posts from anywhere. The passcode is currently set to 1234.

Let me know if you've any further questions. It's currently built to host a single school at a time but could easily be extended to serve multiple schools at a time if there's any interest.

Thank Post
    Equally, given the initial comment about internal hosting, it could probably be bundled up into a virtual appliance and distributed that way instead - although a little Linux knowledge might be required to get it up and running...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123