+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Advice about setting up Live@EDU in Technical; I need a bit of advice please. I have tried setting up Live@EDU which went fine until I needed to ...
    Thank Post

Question Advice about setting up Live@EDU

I need a bit of advice please.
    I have tried setting up Live@EDU which went fine until I needed to confirm ownwership of a test domain I'd set up to play with.
    Then I couldn't find anyway to confirm this.
    I used DYNDNS and created a free account/domain which I then allocated to Live@EDU.
    Couldn't work out where to put the CNAME record Live@EDU provided.
    I got fed up trying to find out how with no success so I've deleted them.
    Has anyone setup a free domain for testing in this way, if so who with and could you point me to some info on how please. Preferably with explanations on registration and confirmation in Live@EDU.

Thank Post
    DNS Records for Outlook Live - this page details the relevant DNS options, and there are some links at the bottom which you may find useful.

3. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

steve_nfi (24th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

5. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Not wanting to sound like a Microsoft fanboy, but that article is one-sided, poorly researched, and factually inaccurate (partly due to being out of date - it was written in 2009).

As for the OPs topic - I'm pretty sure you can't use a service like DynDNS even for testing Live@edu. You will need access to a registered domain for which you can properly control the DNS records.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 24th January 2011 at 01:23 PM.

7. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Gareth, this post is very old and considerably out of date, and also talks about corporate, rather than educational offerings. Microsoft offers Live@edu to schools, colleges and universities for free for staff, students and alumni. This includes access to an Exchange Online mailbox, and a variety of Windows Live services including SkyDrive + the Microsoft Office Web Apps.

There are no on-premise requirements, and no hidden costs. You can sign up from scratch today, for free and you wouldn't need to pay a penny.

I'm sorry for the sales talk there; I normally avoid it as it's a bit inappropriate of me to use it here, but would hate for you to use that article as gospel when decision making, when it is very definitely out of date.

Thank Post
    If you want to do some testing use co.cc domains as per my guide...

http://www.redbridge-iae.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=141

It lets you set up the CNAME records you need to validate with Live@Edu

That is a truly awful article, not much fact in there at all. Tbh the game has moved on now, Office 365 does give those who were looking for a spot of MS-bashing some ammo as you can now see where the paid-for services come in. My problem is going to be with staff accounts, unless it gets covered under our Campus License (still waiting on that one as far as I know?

However MS are still giving the services to students for free and it's a lot more advanced than what was on offer a few years ago so depends how you look at it I guess...
    Last edited by gshaw; 24th January 2011 at 01:35 PM.

10. Thanks to gshaw from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apologies - the LEA sent it to me so I thought I would forward it on. Just goes to show I should read it before passing :-)

Cheers guys for setting me on the path.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Apologies - the LEA sent it to me so I thought I would forward it on. Just goes to show I should read it before passing :-)

Cheers guys for setting me on the path.

Gareth
    Did they send it over recently? Doesn't bode well if the LEA is 2 years behind on current developments

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Which bit is incorrect?
    My understanding was that there are hidden costs and that Live@edu is the cutdown version of Office365 which does include paid for components - even for edu

Thank Post
    Recently used csnewmedia.co.uk to create domains for both google apps and live@edu. Lots of options like cnames ect. and I can help if you need it.

15. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Which bit is incorrect?
    My understanding was that there are hidden costs and that Live@edu is the cutdown version of Office365 which does include paid for components - even for edu
    The email section of Office365 (ie the replacement for Live@Edu) is free. If you want other components then you pay on a sliding scale. There are no hidden costs ... they are pretty up front about it. The only hidden cost is when people forget to calculate time to setup and manage the service ... and people forget that for in-house solutions, google apps for edu and so on ...

Thank Post
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but I wondered if anyone can tell me if the Windows Live Messenger part of Live@edu can be turned off or restricted (for students)?

Andrew

Thank Post
    No. You can remove the links from the top of the OWA client page and I believe you can filter that on local firewalls, but you can not manage (turn on/off) any features of the 'package' besides those relating to the e-mail. Part of the Office365 thing is that you will have management control over the sharepoint, lync etc.. how much control we've yet to see.

19. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

adhutton (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Recently used csnewmedia.co.uk to create domains for both google apps and live@edu. Lots of options like cnames ect. and I can help if you need it.
    I'd say that the article seems to be trying to suggest that MS should be giving away a fully featured online Enterprise version of Office for free, quite bizarre when for Enterprise Level Google Docs you have to pay as well?

Also the points it was making we conjecture back in 2009 so doesn't have a great deal of relevance to what's announced in 2011 as part of the Sharepoint features are in the online packages now anyway. Just seems to be one of many articles that finds points to nitpick with and then blows it out of all proportion. I'm sure someone could do that for Google Docs or any other application known to man, it's not difficult to find fault with a product if you look hard enough.

However seem to be difficult for a lot of websites to give a reasoned debate on the merits of two competing products without resorting to personal vendettas. It's something I've noticed a lot when researching VMWare and Hyper-V... loads of fanboy-esque "articles" and "reviews" which seem to have come straight from the marketing budgets of the respective companies but very few well written, sensible feature comparisons hence having to end up writing my own :P

If I'm being picky I'd say MS could've done with having the UK pricing sorted before BETT, which would've removed the uncertainty we're seeing with everyone unsure of how the £££ will pan out. I'm expecting the staff for the A1-3 packages to be covered under our Campus License as that makes sense as a licensing method to me... if it's not then I might change my viewpoint on how fair the pricing structure is...
    Last edited by gshaw; 25th January 2011 at 10:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    No. You can remove the links from the top of the OWA client page and I believe you can filter that on local firewalls, but you can not manage (turn on/off) any features of the 'package' besides those relating to the e-mail. Part of the Office365 thing is that you will have management control over the sharepoint, lync etc.. how much control we've yet to see.
    Is this a new issue? With the existing live@edu I have disabled the messenger part.

Set-OwaMailboxPolicy OwaMailboxPolicy-DefaultMailboxPlan -InstantMessagingEnabled $false

22. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

adhutton (25th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast