+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Home internet filtering hardware in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You can buy little sonicwall firewalls with filtering.

Network Security, Firewall & Wireless - The New TZ Series - SonicWALL, Inc.
    Seems that yearly filtering cost is ~£150 with rough cost for the hardware ~£200-250, which may be out of the grasp of most home networks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    OpenDNS - fairly imperfect as a filter, but not a bad start, and easy to implement at router level.
    This is why Smoothwall should team up with a router manufacturer...

Thank Post
    It's fairly easy to get round, but OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security can be setup on a router.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately, our filtering is quite CPU intensive (due to the dynamic nature of the content filter) and uses a massive amount of RAM (compared to what a router has). Routers are better off with "off box" "is this URL dodgy" type filters - they're not effective against anonymisers but are all you can expect from a very... price competitive... plastic box.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thnaks all for the replies so far, but it has to be almost plug'n'play for novice users, and offer such features as groups, authorised devices (MAC filtering) etc, and it MUST be hadware based.

Thank Post
    According to DG website, 50 users requires ~ 300MHz CPU and 96MB RAM - something like RouterStation Pro has 720MHz CPU and 128Mb RAM (and you're not likely to get 50 users on a home network), maybe what's needed is a slight rethink on router design to allow for some more RAM and higher CPU (the elonex ebook things with a 1GHz CPU and 256MB RAM sell for £150 - so surely some electronics/router manufacturer can build hardware with a significant amount of RAM a decent CPU and a decent amount of Flash storage for short term logs and configuration for less than that), or the start of a new device type - home wireless security gateways or something!

Thank Post
    Untangle if you have an old pc lying around!

Thank Post
    Live Parental Controls - Appears to be free if you use one of thier compatible routers.

Thank Post
    Last edited by markcuk; 11th January 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Seems that yearly filtering cost is ~£150 with rough cost for the hardware ~£200-250, which may be out of the grasp of most home networks.
    go to the right supplier it isnt. I know someone who paid 150 for the box at 60 for the filtering.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Someone wanted to know if there are any solutions to filter an entire home wireless network?
    Oddly, I had exactly the same question asked of me at around the same time yesterday - a bunch of parents must have bought children laptops for Christmas! The situation described to me was basically the same as with Dos_Box: a parent, without enough technical know-how to even know where to start, wants to control their child's access to Facebook, etc. The child is likly to be more technically capable than the parent. I could set up a PC with Squid / SquidGaurd / DansGuardian on, but that would need a constantly-updated list of URLs to block and could probably be gotten around quite quickly by a child bright enough to ask a friend about proxys.

Does OpenDNS have the same issues as above? Certainly from the point of view of what we use in schools, £1,000 a year or whatever SmoothWall costs is quite a bargin for something that stays up-to-date and can block URLs, proxies, etc. I've pointed out before that I think the average home router might develop over the next few years in to a more complete server, with better filtering capabilities and file storage facilities. Wasn't there some mention at some point of SmoothWall setting up a cloud-based service?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    The BT router we got with a BT business broadband connection supports exactly this. It lets you set the default filtering that any new pc gets (groups like children, young teens etc, or you can make your own groups from their filtering lists) as well as specific filtering lists for pc's once they are connected. The blocking page gives the option for someone with the password to override it for a set ammount of time. We used this very successfully at a nursery for 2 years until we managed to link them to our main site with a wifi link.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    The BT router we got with a BT business broadband connection supports exactly this.
    Can it block all proxy sites (i.e. does it examine traffic in some way and block access to random proxies set up on, say, someone else's ADSL connection), or does it just block content by URL?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Wasn't there some mention at some point of SmoothWall setting up a cloud-based service?
    I seem to remember mention of this, and I know that they've got someone working on Smoothwall on a nice Xen cluster (which I think may be the base for a cloud-based service).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Can it block all proxy sites (i.e. does it examine traffic in some way and block access to random proxies set up on, say, someone else's ADSL connection), or does it just block content by URL?

--
    David Hicks
    I think it blocks based on url, but gets its list live from BT somewhere. Its never going to be as good as a proper proxy based solution, but it never let anything bad through in the couple of years we used it. - very young users though, so no one determined to bypass it!

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast