+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, UAG - Frustrating or a pile of poo in Technical; I've been configuring UAG for a while now and I can't believe how poor some of the configuration. I've always ...

Thank Post

UAG - Frustrating or a pile of poo

I've been configuring UAG for a while now and I can't believe how poor some of the configuration.

I've always quite liked MS stuff but this and CRM sem to be written for programmers not admins (maybe they are).

An example... the upload limit on UAG is set to 1mb... it looks like you have to use a reg hack to increase it. A reg hack??? In this day and age of super fast broadband how poor is 1mb (and I can't get the hack to work).

Another one.... the access policies are baffling.. you go into the policy... then go into them again but theres nothing there... you have to use expressions to create them.

Oh and one more, drive mapping only works on XP.. I imagine this is because of driveaccess... but driveaccess machines need to be a member of the domain.

Bizzare.

Wish I had bought a more robust product.

On the plus side the remoteapps works a treat.. Sims flies at home.

Anyone go any helpful tips about UAG that might help.. the documentation on technet is a bit cack.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I'm ashamed to admit I gave up on UAG about 2 hours after installing it - just seemed far more complicated than was necessary for what I was planning to use it for. I think if I were using a greater feature set (like RemoteApp) I would have stuck with it, but I really only wanted to use web apps and the file access portal, so ended up using HomeAccess+ over a reverse proxy.

As for the documentation... I find almost all Technet documentation to be impenetrable. They seem to spend pages and pages going over minute irrelevant detail and then somehow completely miss the basics that you actually need to get started with something.

Thank Post
    But they have (apparently) fixed it so you can use RDS farms without it breaking when the broker moves you to a different servers!

Did have to wait 8 months though

Thank Post
    UAG isnt the most friendly, but it can be customised quite a bit. Policies are hard.

SP1 made quite a few fixes.

Drive mapping I dont use. File access just point to a file server \\whatever\staff and \\whatever\pupils, but it automatically picks up their mydocs from AD.

I mentioned to SIMcfc that it can show any internal webpage, setup an internal IIS server and point it to it and it'll show. As its a security appliance you need to rather confugure access rules to what that website requires or set page verification to off for that internal site. Papercut websites, moodle, internal wordpress sites are all easy to configure to put through it.

We also setup an IIS VM that pointed to staff and student shares, point UAG to this and easy downloading of stuff from shared areas without the file access application and need for additional software to be installed on the client.

RDP to indivindual machines is handy too.

How did you gets SIMS working through it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    UAG isnt the most friendly, but it can be customised quite a bit. Policies are hard.

SP1 made quite a few fixes.

Drive mapping I dont use. File access just point to a file server \\whatever\staff and \\whatever\pupils, but it automatically picks up their mydocs from AD.

I mentioned to SIMcfc that it can show any internal webpage, setup an internal IIS server and point it to it and it'll show. As its a security appliance you need to rather confugure access rules to what that website requires or set page verification to off for that internal site. Papercut websites, moodle, internal wordpress sites are all easy to configure to put through it.

We also setup an IIS VM that pointed to staff and student shares, point UAG to this and easy downloading of stuff from shared areas without the file access application and need for additional software to be installed on the client.

RDP to indivindual machines is handy too.

How did you gets SIMS working through it?
    I set up another server for remote apps and then after installing Sims I changed the shortcut to just run Pulsar and it works fine, just have to rememeber to update the apps servers Sims after each update. I have put Office on also and was tempted to put Macromedia Studio on but I reckon Flash may mess stuff up.

6. Thanks to Simcfc73 from:

Theblacksheep (19th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Simcfc73, can you tell me who you approached for your two consecutive IPv4 addresses? Was it your Grid, your LEA or do you have a private broadband account? Was it worth the hassle?

Thanks in advance, BooBoo

Thank Post
    Its a private broadband which i kinda fudged.

Do you mean for DirectAccess? We don't use it as I couldn't see a way for non domain machines to use it.

I think I had a play with it by just using port forwarding on my Smoothwall but didn't go deeply into it... our ISP gives us 5 usable IP's so I was able ot use them.

Its not the smoothest config I have but it works.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread