+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Free email content filter for exchange in Technical; Does anyone know of a freeware content filter that could be used with Exchange? I'm not talking about SPAM (that's ...

Thank Post

Free email content filter for exchange

Does anyone know of a freeware content filter that could be used with Exchange? I'm not talking about SPAM (that's dealt with by our ISP). Just something that can intercept emails that contain certain words or phrases.

Probably asking a bit much for something that's free, but maybe someone's stumbled across something useful.

Thank Post
    I idly looked once for potential use, didn't find one but that could have changed.

Someone else here was on this track for E2K7 last night attempting to get the feeble (probably by-design to help stop complete mail blockage) transport rule regexp functionality to do this... not ideal. I've never done this for real so I'm a bit fuzzy, but it might be possible to get the Exchange content filtering to do it i.e. give your banned words high scores and set the "treat as a bad message" threshold to match?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Would the Add-ContentFilterPhrase cmdlet do what you need?

Thank Post
    we do it in transport rules have a list of banned words and also the exceptions you would be supprised how many words it caught Saturday for example because it contains turd kept us entertained for ages with our simple minds

Thank Post
    I can't see options for Transport Rules or Content Filter Phrases. Are these features that are available in Exchange 2003, or just 2007/2010?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwood View Post
    I can't see options for Transport Rules or Content Filter Phrases. Are these features that are available in Exchange 2003, or just 2007/2010?
    2007 and 2010 they came in with

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Transport rules are under organisation config/hub transport then transport rules - we use the same and also for the spam that gets through the LEA - we just setup for the rubbish like Dear friend please give me your money etc to just be silently dropped - also the spam that we get through is dropped before it hits our helpdesk - as a previous NM left on bad ground and signed the account out for all sorts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imiddleton25 View Post
    we do it in transport rules have a list of banned words and also the exceptions
    Same here.

I also have transport rules to BCC all Student Email to a Public Folder that Staff can read. eg: in realtime too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Same here.

I also have transport rules to BCC all Student Email to a Public Folder that Staff can read. eg: in realtime too
    Best check you are allowed to that. There are two laws that cover the interception of emails, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/23/contents and http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2699/contents/made. Generally, you are not allowed to intercept emails without lawful authority to do so, and personal emails are exempt from any interception, except in exceptional circumstances. You also, by law, have to inform any user of your email systems that their emails are being intercepted.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Same here.

off topic a little bit, but is there a way i can check a particular mailbox to see if it has one of these transport rules in place? one of my users (slt) is convinced someone is able to read her emails, and all my checking hasnt foound anything that could allow it. What you mention though could be a cause. Thanks

Thank Post
    Check the persons mailbox properties on Exchange to see if some sort of mail forwarding has been setup on the mailbox itself, check your transport rules to see if anything is being done there.

Other than that, check the heads email account on her machine to see if there are any rules in place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread