+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, ICMP Internet Traffic Help in Technical; Hey guys, I have a local internet provider. They are a co-op. Since the summer I've had problems with the ...

Thank Post

ICMP Internet Traffic Help

Hey guys, I have a local internet provider. They are a co-op. Since the summer I've had problems with the speed dropping so low that google won't open. When the speed drops I get "request timed out" like 6-10 in a row before speed will start to come back up. It happens throughout the day morning, noon, and evening throughout the night. My ISP wouldn't do anything to help so I downloaded WireShark. When the speed dropped, I noticed that there were 5-10 second differences on the ICMP Protocol packets. I don't know anything about ICMP so I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I don't know if the problem is me or my ISP. Any help? Thanks.

Thank Post
    Unplug everything from your ISP's equipment, and just connect one PC. Run a continuous ping:

Code:
    ping -t google.com
    and wait. If it still drops out and the ping packets stop coming back for a time, this is a reasonable indicator that your line is screwed.

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

slps3 (8th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Hey, thanks for replying. I have ran a continuous ping straight from the modem. No router included. It still drops throughout the day. Many people in my county complain about the same thing. It happens to me where I'm at and all the way across town too. Does that mean they have issues maybe in their equipment such as their pipeline? Not enough bandwidth to feed their customers? They are also installing Fiber at the moment and maybe everything will be resolved. Does the bandwidth problem seem reasonable? I mean I dont know. I never have problems with my phone so im not sure.

Thank Post
    if you are a cable suscriber your bandwith decreases if more customers are added to that pipeline but if you are ADSL subscriber bandwith decreases on the distance to the exchange.
    Check the status of your exchange if co-op have one. Im with talktalk and they have an exchange status checker this shows the status of your connection, tells you if your exchange is live, speed of your connection and the area where your telephone exchange is. If they have moved you to another exchange that is further away this could be the reason you are getting slow connection. Also if you are running a router make sure all the lights are lit green at all times, if the adsl light turns amber, you are loosing internet connection and you need to ask your service provider to boost up your signal, but before you do that try to change your telephone splitters that seperates your phone and internet signals. Remember some companies block icmp packets for security, so you would get a unreachable reply back. Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Are you in the US slps3?

If so is your Internet being delivered by wireless link somewhere, very common in the US where local ISPs deliver last mile services.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread