+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Google Apps EDU | Message Archiving in Technical; [QUOTE=misterfriendly;582040]We have rolled out Google Apps Edu in our school (approx. 600 users) for docs & email. So far it ...

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=misterfriendly;582040]We have rolled out Google Apps Edu in our school (approx. 600 users) for docs & email. So far it works great, and a huge improvement over our previous homegrown mail system (postfix/squirrelmail).

Now I need to think about an archiving system for messages and (possibly) docs. Google/Postini sells their own solution and there are a bunch of other solutions offered by third party vendors. It seems you can spend as much as you want on such a system.

Does anyone have a recommendation or warning about any of these? Thanks -

Luke Jaeger | Technology Coordinator
    Pioneer Valley Performing Arts Charter Public School
    ----------

Hi,

Saw this thread, and joined to respond.

If you are using Google's FREE hosted Email for Edu/Schools, to have complete archiving, you basically have to use either Google's Postini services, or use ArcMail's Guardian for Google solution.

If you have a paid Google Apps account, you then have more options, with other 3rd party vendors.

Thank Post
    We ended up using Gaggle.net - which may not be the cheapest solution, but it works great & puts us in compliance with all the various federal & state rules around internet safety

Thank Post
    I am only using a standard account at the moment during the testing phase so cannot get the free support. Google do offer a message archiving system at a generous 66% discount to schools but at $60+ per user this is still not cheap enough option.

Not much point using a standard account to test as it is different from the Google Apps for ED account which is also free and can be set up for testing purposes.

Thank Post
    Hi there, I had the same problem. I set up a rule to forward any email with the following words in "a me you and at yes no" etc. So any email written in English will be forwarded to an account. Then I used Gam (a free Dos program) to set up a rule that all incoming mail be sent to another account. So every email in and every email out gets caugh in one of the two accounts. Ive been doing this for 6 weeks and both are about 10% full, so when theyre full I'll create another account and off we go again. I was quoted £4 per head per year for 1000 users so this is saving a lot of cash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adminray View Post
    Hi there, I had the same problem. I set up a rule to forward any email with the following words in "a me you and at yes no" etc. So any email written in English will be forwarded to an account. Then I used Gam (a free Dos program) to set up a rule that all incoming mail be sent to another account. So every email in and every email out gets caugh in one of the two accounts. Ive been doing this for 6 weeks and both are about 10% full, so when theyre full I'll create another account and off we go again. I was quoted £4 per head per year for 1000 users so this is saving a lot of cash.
    that sounds like a nice, cheap workaround. we were signed up for postini by a predecessor here, but i'm looking for a way to save some money.

would you mind providing a little more info on how you set that up (ie: where did you set up the forwarding rule, how did you set up the rule in GAM etc.)?

much obliged!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmp78 View Post
    that sounds like a nice, cheap workaround. we were signed up for postini by a predecessor here, but i'm looking for a way to save some money.

would you mind providing a little more info on how you set that up (ie: where did you set up the forwarding rule, how did you set up the rule in GAM etc.)?

much obliged!

doesn't google vault handle this?

i did read that pre vault accounts don't have it activated yet - but all new account will, and in the future the pre vault accounts will have it brought online too.

Thank Post
    Gaggle works but it's costly. We are considering switching to Google Vault which is far cheaper. My only question is how hard is it to migrate the archive? Anyone done this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12