+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Transparent or non-transparent proxy? in Technical; We use SG2008 for our filtering and have always used non-transparent proxy and proxy authentication. This is fine for college ...

Thank Post

Transparent or non-transparent proxy?

We use SG2008 for our filtering and have always used non-transparent proxy and proxy authentication. This is fine for college pc's, although the logon box does annoy a lot of staff.

We are a boarding school and also allow students to bring in their own pcs (yes i know how much hassle this causes). Pupils sometimes struggle with the whole proxy IPort idea and some software has issue's connecting through, Live Messenger being one.

If we made the switch to transparent proxy and NTLM Auth would this work with both student and college machines, i'm trying to make my life easier. Would students get a pop-up asking for NTLM auth details or am i getting the wrong idea?

bio
    Thank Post
    When you place forefront TMG in your network it will be part of your domain. so no username/password box will popup. Its also possible to place the TMG in a workgroup but then you'll loose the ability to create firewall rules with user authentication. I dunno how this works with squid, smoothwall or something.

bio..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    We use SG2008 for our filtering and have always used non-transparent proxy and proxy authentication. This is fine for college pc's, although the logon box does annoy a lot of staff.

We are a boarding school and also allow students to bring in their own pcs (yes i know how much hassle this causes). Pupils sometimes struggle with the whole proxy IPort idea and some software has issue's connecting through, Live Messenger being one.

If we made the switch to transparent proxy and NTLM Auth would this work with both student and college machines, i'm trying to make my life easier. Would students get a pop-up asking for NTLM auth details or am i getting the wrong idea?
    AFAIK, you wouldn't get a popup using it transparently - it would be acting as a router, so there would be no stage to prompt for those details. What you can do is have it connect them to a web page for authentication, which could do the NTLM bit (or any other method desired).

Can you not have the SG2008 box retrieve details via NTLM in non-transparent mode? So that staff don't have to log in?

And then dealing with students could be done via a simple internal web page with a downloadable script which sets the proxy details?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread