+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, What should Broadband Cost in Technical; Originally Posted by LeicestershirePrimary I need to ask the question but, the recent change is due to the removal of ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeicestershirePrimary View Post
    I need to ask the question but, the recent change is due to the removal of a grant....I will ask the question.
    I imagine it's the removal/cutting down of the harnessing technology grant.

Harnessing Technology Grant

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sending pm will gladly fill you in on everything.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Sending pm will gladly fill you in on everything.

Russ
    Can you include me in on that Russ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    So if a school was to move away from the RBC what would happen in terms of local portals etc? Would they still have to pay to access those?
    The different portals are used and provided in different ways by different LAs. If it is the LA portal for EMBC then I would expect you to still have to pay for that even if you move away from EMBC for your connection, filtering, email, etc ... it all depends on how it is paid for though and that really does vary. Speak to your LA contacts about that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeicestershirePrimary View Post
    Thanks everyone - I have found out a little more.

We currently get 4Mbps and a contention ratio of 4:1. It is a Fibre connection. As a number of you have pointed out, we get some services - Filtering, Firewall and internal eMail. It still strikes me as a shed load of money - it represents almost 2% of our overall budget and with the coming cuts, one assumes that it will rise as a percentage.

Thanks everyone
    embc do not run a contended service - there is a paper based contention ratio but in practice schools (non ADSL connected) are not contended - there is sufficient capacity throughout the network - this is monitored and scaled according to need.

Thank Post
    I'd be interested to seE what would happen if schools turned around and said "sorry, we can't afford your charges due to budget cuts". I suspect a deal would be done, especially if the media got hold of it. GOVERNMENT CUTS BLOCK SCHOOL INTERNET
    Last edited by laserblazer; 8th October 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Russ, could you PM me that info too.

Thank Post
    Has anybody actually done a site survey to find out what a primary actually needs in terms of internet access/speed... I wonder if the current providers supply overkill in terms of contention/speed for a school that mainly uses google and education city? My thought is would a cheaper adsl service do the job? 8 meg and 20 to 1 contention unlimited traffic is cheaper than a dedicated line but would it be sufficient? I understand that this doesnt include the addons such as filtering and these would have to be provided.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    Has anybody actually done a site survey to find out what a primary actually needs in terms of internet access/speed... I wonder if the current providers supply overkill in terms of contention/speed for a school that mainly uses google and education city? My thought is would a cheaper adsl service do the job? 8 meg and 20 to 1 contention unlimited traffic is cheaper than a dedicated line but would it be sufficient? I understand that this doesnt include the addons such as filtering and these would have to be provided.
    The problem is, many schools now use externally hosted VLE's - which need good upload speeds, they need the reliability that they'll get the speed they need when they need it, they don't just use google and education city any more. Video streaming, video conferencing, etc... all get used by many schools.

10. Thanks to localzuk from:

Brpilot99 (8th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The problem is, many schools now use externally hosted VLE's - which need good upload speeds, they need the reliability that they'll get the speed they need when they need it, they don't just use google and education city any more. Video streaming, video conferencing, etc... all get used by many schools.
    Yes thats a very good point, but as you say its many schools .. but not all !! I'm thinking of my schools that dont use a VLE or video etc... and just only use the basic internet service .. why pay for something you don't use .. If they want to go the vle route in the future then an upgrade would be neccessary of course.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes thats a very good point, but as you say its many schools .. but not all !! I'm thinking of my schools that dont use a VLE or video etc... and just only use the basic internet service .. why pay for something you don't use .. If they want to go the vle route in the future then an upgrade would be neccessary of course.
    Its a balancing act. Everyone chips in, and together, that money pays for the whole service. If people break away, that can cause serious knock on effects for other schools too.

Thank Post
    Its a balancing act. Everyone chips in, and together, that money pays for the whole service. If people break away, that can cause serious knock on effects for other schools too.
    So schools that dont use the whole service are subsidising the schools that do? Is that fair?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So schools that dont use the whole service are subsidising the schools that do? Is that fair?
    Yes, in my view, as schools aren't independent little islands - they're all part of the larger system with the goal of educating the children of today.

Thank Post
    Yes, in my view, as schools aren't independent little islands - they're all part of the larger system with the goal of educating the children of today.
    Good point again but as far as finance goes they are all little islands with each getting a larger or smaller share of the pot ... In the age of plenty this subject may never come up but with the cuts on thier way I think increasingly schools will start to ask pertinant questions regarding the services they recieve and the cost of providing them. I agree the aim is to educate the kids and make the point that a small primary could educate their kids better by saving money on internet services they dont use and buying for example more books.

Thank Post
    But at the end of the day, each school has its own budget, and can't pay over the odds for something just because a smaller local school might end up with a bigger bill, in my opinion. Schools can obviously work together to get the best possible pricing for all but at the end of the day each school is responsible for managing its finances.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast