+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Squid with on a Win2008 R2 server problems in Technical; Dear all, Just wondering if anyone has any advice they could offer on the up keep of squid? I have ...
    Thank Post

Squid with on a Win2008 R2 server problems

Dear all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice they could offer on the up keep of squid? I have a 2008R2 server running on the student VLAN which forwards all web requests on to our main IAS server on the default VLAN via squid.

Unfortunately this was setup by my predecessor and I have no knowledge of squid. It was all working fine but lately it has been dropping request as far as I can tell (See attached) at peak times when all the boarders go back to there rooms to surf the web.

I have had a look at the other posts about squid on here and heard that you can clear the log files but am unsure on the best way of doing this. On the following post Squid problems - The redirector helpers are crashing too rapidly, need help! at says about the cache.log and I have found the folder which this file is in and have listed the files below, some look really big should they be cleared?

access.log - 4GB
    Cache.log - 97MB
    squid.pid 1KB
    store.log 12GB!!!!!!!!!!

Is this right? Any other stuff I should be checking?
    Thanks
    FB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Best to stop the services then delete the logs. 2 ways to access the linux box, ssh or a web interface. SSH, use a program called Putty (free). Stop the squid service and then goto /var/log/squid and wipe out the logs. Then restart the services. The logs will then be recreated. Also check the time on the squid box is right, funnily enough even an hour out can sometimes cause issues. Also you may want to read up on a item called webmin. Once installed on a linux box you can do pretty much anything to the box via a user friendly web frontend. (We use webmin to manage our main squid/dansguardian box for the kiddies). If this doesnt fix anything, once the logs are a few MB, download them to your pc (either using linuxes built in ftp commands) or webmins file utility if you install this. Have a read as they may help see what is going wrong. (But id clear the old ones first as they seem a wee bit too big for notepad lol)

Sorry if this seems like a really brief reply but things such as delete commands, ftp etc can be quickly googled for. The above is also assuming you have a pretty standard linux install layout.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by WebbA; 30th September 2010 at 10:50 AM.

Thank Post
    No problem that's great thanks.. I'm not using Linux tho squid is install on a windows 2008r2 box does that matter with regards to what you just wrote? I guess I can stop the squid.exe service in windows clear the logs (or move them to another area just in case I need them) and then start the service again right?

ajs

Thank Post
    I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work :-)

Thank Post
    ah sorry thats my fault for not reading well enough lol, well forget the webmin and ssh bits then!

still no harm in stopping services and clearing logs though(or just remame them), check time as well! (although this isnt much of an issue with windows)

if you get any errors when restarting the services, just create some blank files, eg. store.log etc by creating a txt file and renaming the extension.

then still have a read through the logs afterwards. if you find anything which doesnt seem normal or errors, try googling them.

6. Thanks to WebbA from:

FatBoy (30th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Cheers WebbA and ajs, its as good a place as any where to start! I'll let you know how I get on

Thank Post
    Right....

I stopped the service, moved the 4 files above out of the C:\squid\var\logs folder to a different folder and restarted all ok and it recreated the files. When the service was stopped I also moved the folders/files from the C:\squid\var\cache folder as well but the service wouldn't restart until I put them back, should I remove these? If so what do I need to leave in there so the service will restart? Anyway the server is running now I'll see if it running any better and check those log files in a bit. Any other tips from anyone appreciated

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread