+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Microsoft ISA in Technical; Hi so I have a Microsoft ISA proxy server part of the domain mydomain.com (as an example). There are also ...

Thank Post

Microsoft ISA

Hi so I have a Microsoft ISA proxy server part of the domain mydomain.com (as an example). There are also many notebooks on the same domain. These notebooks via Group Policy are set so you cannot change the proxy. Now when the notebooks are taken offsite this present the problem that you cannot connect to the internet. So my question is can I make my ISA proxy a subdomain server of a real www domain e.g. mydomain.com (so it is proxy.mydomain.com) and use that as the IE proxy (proxy.mydomain.com:8080)? Will this work? Any one tried or done it? Could it work in theory?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This could work but unless you had it requireing authentication then you would be running an open proxy that anyone from the outside world could use. You could instead remove it as a proxy setting and add a rule to allow web traffic from inside the network to the internet. You could then just set the ISA server as the default gateway and the only way out to the internet would be via the proxied ISA server allowing only the protocols that you choose.

When the clients were connected outside the school they would simple use the default gateway of wherever they were so it would all work automaticly.

Thank Post
    The proxy does require domain authentication. e.g. DOMAINNAME\USERNAME and PASSWORD.
    So I could make the proxy server open to the external and then set proxy.mydomain.com:8080 as the proxy (for an example) and it would then filter as per the rules in my ISA proxy

correct? and this would not be an "open" proxy for anyone to use?
    Last edited by rhodrykorb; 26th September 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes that should work but you are limiting all laptops to the speed of your school network even if they are on a faster external link. Depending on your authentication type you may also be sending user credentials in cleartext or rather easily snoopable formats which could be a security concern. Using user certificates for authentication could mitigate this a bunch though. It depends on how important security is to you, Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 can be used with a technology called DirectAccess which offers a persistant VPN link over HTTPS which can be reconfigured to pass all internet traffic through as well but this is best setup with Forefront User Access Gateway as it can be quite complex to setup.

Thank Post
    Okay so new scenario, how can I get it so that a user cannot change the proxy but if it cant detect it (because it is internal only) it will just apply no proxy?

Thank Post
    I use a pac file if the PC cant get the files off site it goes direct.. if on site and gets the pack file then it uses the proxy..

More info.. Proxy auto-config - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is the only way to get round the problem your having..

or squid proxy..

Thank Post
    Do you have a PAC file for IE that you could send me? And notes on where and how to install it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I have a vb script which we put on the desktop of all laptops (normally sixth form personal ones) - they have to run it - it asks are you in school yes or no - depending on the answer it will either insert the proxy or not. if you would like me to send it to you i will tomorrow.

I find that using a Pac script once the user is not on the network its slow on first page load as its trying to find your servers
    Last edited by glennda; 26th September 2010 at 04:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Okay yeah if you could provide it that would be great

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I am in the office from 10 oclock tomorrow if you PM me tomorrow with an Email address i will forward you the script

Thank Post
    just did, thanks again. Much appreciated

Thank Post
    ISA has a setting to automatically advertise the proxy, all you need to do is either setup auto proxy configuration via either dhcp or dns.

Automatic Discovery for Firewall and Web Proxy Clients

We have set the auto proxy discovery up here and laptops/netbooks work flawlessy onsite and off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread