+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, BGFL + iPads in Technical; Hello all, This question is really aimed for Birmingham schools, who use BGFL for their web services. Can anyone here ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,248 Posts

Lightbulb BGFL + iPads

Hello all,

This question is really aimed for Birmingham schools, who use BGFL for their web services. Can anyone here please confirm whether you have or haven't been successful at getting the iPad to connect to secure https pages?

Primarily (at the site I'm at) they have wired/wireless machines running Windows XP which work absolutely fine with port 80 and 443 traffic, but not the iPad when it comes to port 443.

Taking the iPad home and setting it up with a wireless router works absolutely fine, so the only difference (as far as I can see) is how the iPad communicates with the proxy.

Many thanks for your help

Thank Post
    iPad haven't tried. iPhone - works on iOS 3 and iOS 4. Can't see any real reason why the iPad would be any different.

3. Thanks to Trapper from:

Michael (20th September 2010)

Thank Post
    I can confirm it's the same here. iPhone works, but iPad does not.

spw

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Can anyone here please confirm whether you have or haven't been successful at getting the iPad to connect to secure https pages?
    Same problem here on the EMBC. Streaming video sites that work fine on the same iPad on my home wireless network (Vimeo / Animoto) and our GApps service will not work in school. The only difference is I have no EMBC proxy running at home. Our technician has said other schools have also run into the same issue.
    Unfortunately the solution doesn't seem to available at the moment.

6. Thanks to spw from:

Thank Post
    Thanks guys. It's interesting EMBC have the same/similar problems to BGFL schools. It seems in general then that iPads just do not work well with proxies, unless EMBC and BGFL run exactly the same proxy/firewall solution?

Thank Post
    I've tried the iPad a few times with the BGFL and have never managed to get it to work properlly either. Does YouTube and/or BBC iPlayer streaming work?

Apparently it's got something to do with the amount of ports that the iPad requests and it won't route everything over port 80 even if it's asked to. I'm hoping the update in November will sort it out as in the right department they would be great.

Rich

9. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

Thank Post
    Youtube and BBC use Flash and the iPad does not support Flash. The websites themselves should load being http:// as neither are secure sites.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it has proven most useful

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Youtube and BBC use Flash and the iPad does not support Flash.
    The main websites do, but if you go through the youtube app on the main screen then it should work fine, just like an iPhone but I found that for some reason they don't.

BBC iPlayer has a mobile device page which doesn't use flash as well but again doesn't work.

How are you finding them?

Thank Post
    Personally (if you want my honest opinion) in a maximum of 6 months, the market will be flooded with tablet type PCs which will be more competitively priced and contain more integrated features than the iPad. Some will be based on Google's Android and others Windows 7. The Apple iPad is good, but I believe there will be much better products released.

A typical problem example with the iPad is you can buy an Apple cable to connect it to a projector via VGA, however unlike Windows, each app has to be written to support dual screens. Microsoft Windows 95 supported dual screens as it's all controlled/powered by the graphics driver itself. It just feels a backwards step to me and the iPad is no where near ready for enterprise or education. Apple undoubtedly will release an iPad v2, v3 and so on just as they have the iPhone, but then again the iPhone v4 still has lots of problems.

As a company Apple are brilliant at marketing and developing innovative products, but how practical they are from a technical/management point of view is something else. No AV software, no firewall at all, no support for Flash, no USB port. These are all things I can get on a 10 year old laptop.

Thank Post
    I have also had this problem when trying to connect some of my school customers using the Bgfl Proxy and I have come to this conclusion based on some info I was given by one of my customers.

The reason the iPad can not connect to The Apps Store,HTTPS Sites, YouTube and the like is because these apps require an "OCSPD"

OSCPD stands for "Online Certificate Status Protocol Daemon" and is being issued by Apple's own Certificate Server. In order for you to be able to access some of the blocked sites "ocspd" needs to be enabled on the Firewall at Bgfl for your school.

I have tried various contact points at Bgfl to speak to someone about this without any luck so far. can anyone else help with a contact email or phone number ?

Thank Post
    The schools appointed IT person should be able to phone Link2ICt and put in the change request form. They are probably going to be very off with an outside person asking for changes to the firewall.
    The usual number is 0121 303 5100

Let us know how you get on.
    Rich

15. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

Sean-OC04 (30th September 2010)

Thank Post
    A quick background read on OSCP shows that it is possible for this to be routed via a proxy server, however, unless a bug reported back in 2005 has actually been resolved then the request has to be formatted in a particular way for it to work. As iPhones apparently work and iPads dont my guess is that Apple have broken something. The only way to determine this is for sure is to conduct a proper traffic analysis on the device.

Thank Post
    I have not come across anyone that has connected their iPhone to the school wireless network and get this to work, remember these can connect via 3G as well. I have had it confirmed by a school using iPads that a request was put in to Link2ICT to make an exception on the Firewall for OSCP once this was done everything including youtube was working on the iPad..

I am unable to connect to the Internet using my iPAD through the Schools Squid Server, Why is this?

This is a resolution from a Customer of Link2ICT
    I'd like to add the following text from a forum post. It might help to resolve the issues we're having connecting to the iPad sites.

"I had the exact same problem with my new 32GB iPad this week my employer purchased for me. Turned out our firewall was blocking Apple’s certificate server. IT corrected the problem where I work by enabling “ocspd”. Our IT department said iTunes reached out to that service per their log when I used iTunes only if a device was plugged in. Plugged my iPad into iTunes after they made the exception for the firewall and my iPad works just fine now. iTunes took longer than normal to sync at first but YouTube works as expected and no more connect on restart prompt. Hope this helps. Probably just some verification to those tokens you mentioned earlier that Apple performs."

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread