+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Youtube and Internet Access in Technical; @robk The two I found where Bloxx and Lightspeed. The one I desribed above was the Lightspeed implementation of allowing ...

Thank Post
    @robk

The two I found where Bloxx and Lightspeed. The one I desribed above was the Lightspeed implementation of allowing Youtube, i just found it more logical and easier to use for the staff and students and it integrated with the main filter block page which was nice. Ohh and I think from memory it could import whole Youtube channels. Saves a lot of typing

@Cache
    I looked at this also, did the job but was licenced seperatly. The Lightpeed one was included with the filter for free.

Of course once the Youtube content is allowed the questions then followed...how to we allow other Web 2.0 content

Bash

@

Thank Post
    We block Youtube access for students, but allow access for staff - however we enforce Youtube's Safety Mode using our ISA firewall.

Iain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    We block Youtube access for students, but allow access for staff - however we enforce Youtube's Safety Mode using our ISA firewall.

Iain.
    How have you enforced that via ISA server?

Thank Post
    Staff have had access to Youtube for around 12 months - as of tomorrow i'm giving our sixth form students access also - but will be throttling the bw used via our SmoothWall box.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john316 View Post
    How have you enforced that via ISA server?
    I wrote an ISAPI filter, that inspects, and modifies YouTube cookies, forcing safety mode to be on, even if the user switches it off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoward View Post
    As a rule for most users, we have youtube.com blocked and it's not just due to some dodgy videos that are on there, a lot of the issues are with the adverts and the comments you get up the side and underneath. I recently came across a website called safeshare.tv which allows the display of just the youtube video and cuts out all the rubbish from round the side.

So what you would do is go to youtube, select the video you deem to be safe, copy the URL and paste it into safeshare.tv. This will then give you a safeshare.tv URL which you can copy round to everyone or display it on a whiteboard for pupils to access etc.

It will will only display that video and none of the gumph round the sides and bottom and it also doesn't show the adverts at the end of the film for similar films etc. It requires a bit of forward planning by teachers, I grant you, but not a great deal and no more than other solutions that have been mentioned here. It's basically exactly the same as the Bloxx Media Filter (apart from the ability for a moderator to deem the video is fit for use, you'll just have to trust your teachers ), but for free. We have been recommending it to all our filtered customers.

It also means that you're not having to store files anywhere as well as it streams it just the same and you're not having to find a server to install some in house streaming capability or even worse, pay for something.
    What stops kids safesharing inappropriate stuff?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12