Poll: What option would you go for to improve our connectivity?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Leased line vs. LLU vs. FTTC - what would you do? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

Leased line vs. LLU vs. FTTC - what would you do?

This year both the school and I are desperate to finally leave behind our ADSL connection that (slowly) serves the entire school site. Our key requirement is to improve the upload to around 10Mbps or more to allow us to offer remote access to various on-premises systems.

We can barely afford what I've been quoted for a leased line install (£3,500 installation and equipment + £7,500pa) so I've been looking at alternatives. These include Easynet's LLU EtherStream service, and most recently, the FTTC broadband that is rolling out to our exchange on 31st August 2010.

In my view, leased line is the superior technology, and unsurprisingly the most expensive. EtherStream seems like a close second in terms of technology, and is a little bit cheaper. FTTC is considerably cheaper, but will only offer us "up to 10Mbps" upload. We would also not be able to get hold of FTTC until well into the Autumn term, whereas we could get our hands on a leased line or EtherStream much more quickly.

What would you do?
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 7th July 2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Note to self: learn to type properly

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It may not help you decide but my (bitter!) experience is that just because a supplier says "we can install a leased line in 30 days" doesn't meant that they really can do that (or get anywhere near that time scale)

Of course, FTTC may also not be available by autumn.

Have you got more than one company that could possibly provide the leased line service? (Just because it's a BT line doesn't mean you have to get it from BT - Thus frequently undercut BT for a service delivered through the same fibre!)

3. Thanks to srochford from:

AngryTechnician (7th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    This year both the school and I are desperate to finally leave behind our ADSL connection that (slowly) serves the entire school site. Our key requirement is to improve the upload to around 10Mbps or more to allow us to offer remote access to various on-premises systems.

We can barely afford what I've been quoted for a leased line install (£3,500 installation and equipment + £7,500pa) so I've been looking at alternatives. These include Easynet's LLU EtherStream service, and most recently, the FTTC broadband that is rolling out to our exchange on 31st August 2010.

In my view, leased line is the superior technology, and unsurprisingly the most expensive. EtherStream seems like a close second in terms of technology, and is a little bit cheaper. FTTC is considerably cheaper, but will only offer us "up to 10Mbps" upload. We would also not be able to get hold of FTTC until well into the Autumn term, whereas we could get our hands on a leased line or EtherStream much more quickly.

What would you do?
    is leased line really superior to an ethernet service. Both come with SLA's, and uncontended bandwidth right ? I thought that the premium cost of a leased line was more to do with other factors than it purely being a better service ?

5. Thanks to torledo from:

Thank Post
    Personally I'd be looking at holding off until you see what services are being offered (and what the quality is like) of the FTTC offerings. At the same time I'd be exploring a few different options with leased lines. I know Virgin for instance are typically much much cheaper than BT for the same leased lines.

Have you considered bonding several FTTC connections? That may give you much higher throughput at much lower cost? If it's supported as an option of course!

7. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Thank Post
    I would approach Virgin and see what they can offer, they are considerably cheaper than BT and I cannot fault they, we are currently doing a huge piece of work with regards to our network and they have been used for our MPLS solution.

9. Thanks to MatthewL from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Of the quotes I've had so far, this was how they racked up cost wise (most expensive first):

BT (fibre)
    Virgin Business (fibre) - only marginally cheaper than the BT quote, I might add
    Zen (fibre)
    Easynet Connect (copper)

FTTC on Zen is being mooted as much cheaper than these, but no formal pricing yet as the service hasn't launched yet.

Thank Post
    I think FTTC is less likely to be as variable in "up to" as ADSL was as there's going to be less variation in copper-distance between you and the vdsl dslam. We hope to be "on that" here in the autumn.

What's ADSL getting you right now?

12. Thanks to tom_newton from:

AngryTechnician (8th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am on a BT Fibre which is piggy backed by E2BN. We are looking at tendering our broadband also

14. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    What's ADSL getting you right now?
    Right now we get 7616/864, though that may not be representative of the actual line quality as we are on a 21CN circuit but without a 21CN product (issues with our modem so I hadn't switched us over).

Thank Post
    Is that DSL Max? or 2+? If that's Max, that's an excellent line. Would consider FTTC myself.

Thank Post
    Basically we have a contract for a Max service, but the line has been swapped onto a 2+ circuit, so I suspect we're softcapped by the line profile rather than the actual capabilities of the copper. Before the change it was still pretty good, never worse than 6500 downstream. We are only about 2km from the exchange.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have an easynet fiber line for similar costs, its rock solid 10/10mbit

We are getting it upgraded to 100mbit in a couple of months, I really would go for the 100mbit option as its not that much more expensive. I think £1,000 a year extra.

19. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    Has anybody got a contact for Virgin. I've been trying to get a sales rep to call?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    We would also not be able to get hold of FTTC until well into the Autumn term, whereas we could get our hands on a leased line or EtherStream much more quickly.
    We find ourselves in the same position at the moment. Our ADSL is giving us about 12MB/s down and 1.7 MB/s up but we are looking at using more cloud services e.g. Live@EDU.

What connection did you get in the end?

Thank Post
    We did go for FTTC in the end, working fantastically for us. £77/month (£65 + £12 for a slightly better SLA) for this:

That's about as close as you can get to the maximum performance for FTTC, since we are less than 500m from the cabinet so have only a very short length of copper to traverse.

23. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

drewp (1st February 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast