+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, *Most hated man in the school* How to block world cup in Technical; Basically, our net connection here at the school isn't great at the best of times. We noticed it being worse ...

Thank Post

*Most hated man in the school* How to block world cup

Basically, our net connection here at the school isn't great at the best of times. We noticed it being worse than it usually is yesterday, on reflection this could be the problem;

Top domains (Mb, 24 hours)
    bbc1live-f.akamaihd.net 1204.75
    downloads.bbc.co.uk 355.16

Now I know for a fact at least a couple of teachers were playing the game online and projecting it for the kids to watch (questionable in itself but not my problem in terms of teaching & learning).

What we want to do is block access to watching the games on itv.com and bbc.co.uk for students, at least that way we've narrowed down potential viewers from hundreds to tens.

My question is though; if i block the above 'bbc1live-f.akamaihd.net' is this going to block the live player? Does the 'url' the site redirects to to watch live change for every game shown?

I dont want to have to block 'audio and video' in the filter for students as that will block everything else that they do use for educational purposes. I wonder what the best solution is? Worst case scenario i'll phone the support line but I thought i'd see what everyone else was suggesting first.

Thanks a lot

Thank Post
    This might be of use.

3. Thanks to MatthewL from:

RTFM (16th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    This might be of use.
    For some reason that link isnt working for me, will try again shortly. Having not read the article yet i'll make a statement based on the title of the url, I think that iplayer and the live streaming are different arent they? When clicking the live stream from bbc.co.uk/sport i dont think it re-directs to bbc.co.uk/iplayer ?

Thank Post
    Try the following, to get you started:

bbc.co.uk/player
    bbc.co.uk/iplayer
    bbc.co.uk/emp

6. Thanks to nile_c from:

RTFM (16th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nile_c View Post

bbc.co.uk/player
    bbc.co.uk/iplayer
    bbc.co.uk/emp
    I dont want to necessarily blanket block iplayer though as this can be used for educational purposes. When a game is on bbc.co.uk/sport i may need to do some digging into the redirect url then.

Thank Post

bbc.co.uk/player
    bbc.co.uk/iplayer
    bbc.co.uk/emp
    I dont want to necessarily blanket block iplayer though as this can be used for educational purposes. When a game is on bbc.co.uk/sport i may need to do some digging into the redirect url then.

Thank Post
    Ok, to answer your original question, no - the URL for each game doesn't change. Not in a way that would be readily useful to you.

All of the BBC's multimedia is unified around a small set of flash player objects. What actually gets played is determined though variables in an XML config file, which is a separate HTTP request to the video player. This would be the route to look down, however it won't always be intuitively obvious what is coming from where, or why. It's certainly not a task you want to be racing to do just before every kick-off.

Let's say we manage to get all the live games blocked...
    The kids will always take the path of least resistance, so what do we do once they reach IraqGoals.TV - The Best site for live streaming sports for example?

It may be easier to turn this "game" on it's head, block Audio and Video, and then see where the complaints arise.

10. Thanks to nile_c from:

RTFM (16th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Ok, to answer your original question, no - the URL for each game doesn't change. Not in a way that would be readily useful to you.

All of the BBC's multimedia is unified around a small set of flash player objects. What actually gets played is determined though variables in an XML config file, which is a separate HTTP request to the video player. This would be the route to look down, however it won't always be intuitively obvious what is coming from where, or why. It's certainly not a task you want to be racing to do just before every kick-off.

Let's say we manage to get all the live games blocked...
    The kids will always take the path of least resistance, so what do we do once they reach IraqGoals.TV - The Best site for live streaming sports for example?

It may be easier to turn this "game" on it's head, block Audio and Video, and then see where the complaints arise.
    fair point, as you say, block one way of watching they'll find another and i'll end up chasing my own tail trying to block everything, all for the sake of not blanket blocking audio and video for the small proportion of people who want to use videos for educational purposes during the 90mins the football is on......

I'll take it up with my superiors and go from there.

Thanks a lot for your time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    fair point, as you say, block one way of watching they'll find another and i'll end up chasing my own tail trying to block everything, all for the sake of not blanket blocking audio and video for the small proportion of people who want to use videos for educational purposes during the 90mins the football is on......

I'll take it up with my superiors and go from there.

Thanks a lot for your time
    You're welcome. Keep us all posted and feel free to submit a ticket to support if required.

Thank Post
    I had this problem since BBC started streaming Championship football last year. I managed to prevent the streams loading, and it is still appropriate for the world cup by the looks of it. I blocked the domains below iirc. If you can prevent it access to the XML file it wont be able to load the stream.

open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector
    cp45415.edgefcs.net

14. Thanks to ind1ekid from:

RTFM (16th June 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread