+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smoothwall Guardian - updates in Technical; Does Smoothwall Guardian update it's filtering 'database' automatically during normal updates? That is, do newly discovered sites like proxy by-pass's ...
    theeldergeek

Smoothwall Guardian - updates

Does Smoothwall Guardian update it's filtering 'database' automatically during normal updates? That is, do newly discovered sites like proxy by-pass's get added in when updates are performed? If not, how do I ensure that our Guardian is up-to-date in this respect?

Thank Post
    Yes - you get a nightly update. This is automatic, and you can't turn it off(!) - a stipulation from our friends at IWF.

Some days you may get inbetween updates - the system actually checks hourly. These are rare though.

Drop me a PM/email/call if you think stuff's getting through as shouldn't.

Thank Post
    I think it's also worth mentioning that you should also send feedback on sites that are slipping through so that everyone can benefit and the product can get better.

4. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

nile_c (25th May 2010), Sylv3r (25th May 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Yes - you get a nightly update. This is automatic, and you can't turn it off(!) - a stipulation from our friends at IWF.

Some days you may get inbetween updates - the system actually checks hourly. These are rare though.

Drop me a PM/email/call if you think stuff's getting through as shouldn't.
    How can I tell the updates are coming through?

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I think it's also worth mentioning that you should also send feedback on sites that are slipping through so that everyone can benefit and the product can get better.
    Sorry guys, I'm new to Smoothwall, so on a bit of a journey of discovery here. How can I send feedback?

Thank Post

8. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

nile_c (25th May 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Thanks. I also see there is a 'button' on the bottom of the "Filters" page which takes me to a feedback area, and fills all our details in too. Neat.

Thank Post
    system » maintenance » licenses
    Will show you when all yer "bits" last got a successful update.

Hope that helps! Maybe we can tempt you to one of our UI testing days at some point..

11. 2 Thanks to tom_newton:

nile_c (25th May 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    system » maintenance » licenses
    Will show you when all yer "bits" last got a successful update.

Hope that helps! Maybe we can tempt you to one of our UI testing days at some point..
    You can tempt me, easily, but it's not me you have to convince to let me come!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Excellent point. We send things on the odd occasion when things slip through the net, but the more schools that do this - the more benefit we all receive.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Excellent point. We send things on the odd occasion when things slip through the net, but the more schools that do this - the more benefit we all receive.
    So if I spot a site like "pr0n-u-like.com" for example (which should have ideally not got through the filter), I can submit it to be included in the next round (or so) of updates?

Thank Post
    Absolutely, yes.
    The feedback facility is slightly crude, but we're working on new and better

Also, if you have a whole variety of sites giving you gyp, we can put you on auto-feedback mode for a while, which helps us tune to new types of site, eg. if kids were getting on games by typing "online games" in french (which we already block BTW...) we'd use that to hoover up some examples to "train" the next batches of updates.

16. 2 Thanks to tom_newton:

Sylv3r (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    So if I spot a site like "pr0n-u-like.com" for example (which should have ideally not got through the filter), I can submit it to be included in the next round (or so) of updates?
    I have the following approach: block it immediately in a seperate policy list, report a batch of them at some convenient time, and then when the confirmations come through remove them from my list again. (Online shopping stuff is a favourite for this.)

18. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

tom_newton (26th May 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I have the following approach: block it immediately in a seperate policy list, report a batch of them at some convenient time, and then when the confirmations come through remove them from my list again. (Online shopping stuff is a favourite for this.)
    We have a custom "global block list" where I can put URL's that no-one should be accessing, so I like the idea of doing them in batches and then removing them when they are added in to the system.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 28th May 2010 at 10:34 AM.

Thank Post
    What do you think would be a good method for warning you (As admin) that the stuff you've blocked is part of the blocklist?
    Obviously just taking them out of your list silently is a cack idea, as it may be that you have sites in your custom lists for other reasons. Email digest? Graphical display of the list with icons by those which are now in main blocklist?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast