+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Using facebook in Technical; It depends... ... usually saying bad things about the school is covered under a teacher's contract/code of conduct/AUP/staff manual under ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,711 Posts
    It depends...

... usually saying bad things about the school is covered under a teacher's contract/code of conduct/AUP/staff manual under "not doing or saying anything that might bring the school, its staff or students into disrepute"

We've recently tightened up our Code Of Conduct and Staff AUP to make sure this is crystal clear.

Thank Post
    If it's public and could be construed as bringing the school into disrepute then it should be covered in the AUP. From ours:

"The proliferation of social networking sites means that staff and students must be very diligent in their use of such sites for personal networking. Any public page featuring a member of staff or a student must be kept clean, presentable and must not in any way bring the School into disrepute. Social networking between staff and students should be conducted with caution and preferably not at all."

Thank Post
    must be kept clean, presentable
    Whatever that means. Did a proper lawyer write that?

Thank Post
    Just to add... I know of 2 instances within schools where a "I hate my job" like comment has resulted in a warning, I know a few in the corporate world who have been straight sacked (although, one was doing it work time and had befriended the boss!). It's down to school policy but I really don't see any school being too pleased with that kind of comment :-)

To be honest, if you're going to do it, keep it private (check privacy) and keep your work and personal life separate - don't add work colleagues as they may be friends of other work colleagues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Two comments have always stuck with me the first is before writing would you like your gran, parents and the local vicar to see it on the front of the national newspapers. Then second one is I think Robert Scoble once said he learnt all he needed to know about privacy at Microsoft assume you are public all the time.

The fact is not matter what people think what you do in private life has effect on your work and that means if you said something negative about your work then you can be fired for it..

it is one of the reasons my facebook is very open but it forces me to be very careful what I put up there.

Ryss

6. Thanks to russdev from:

dwhyte85 (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    if you said something negative about your work then you can be fired for it..
    Another potential outcome is that you eventually get some cash-back from the employer when their smiley-happy rules are held to be unreasonable. On one side we have human rights i.e. freedom of expression in your own life, and on the other organisation's reputation, with a very fuzzy line in between. Obviously it makes for an easier life if you err on the side of caution, but that doesn't equate to blind acceptance of every rule some (proper-advice-free) employer makes up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Another potential outcome is that you eventually get some cash-back from the employer when their smiley-happy rules are held to be unreasonable. On one side we have human rights i.e. freedom of expression in your own life, and on the other organisation's reputation, with a very fuzzy line in between. Obviously it makes for an easier life if you err on the side of caution, but that doesn't equate to blind acceptance of every rule some (proper-advice-free) employer makes up.
    I guess it depends to what extent, if you were to say "XYZ SUCKS!!!11one" it would be pretty harsh, we all have bad days... but to say "XYZ Sucks, the boss is a _____ and i hate every single person within the organisation... and they suck at what they do" that's probably quite fair for an employer to be upset...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Unfortunately this is the way of the world, as people want more and more freedom they are in actual fact getting less and less by promoting themselves on these social networks to which they have no idea of the negative implications which can and often do come back to bite them hard.

All our members of staff have been advised not to use any of these social networks for fear of reprisals from pupils and also other members of staff.

People have and will be in the future hauled over the coals for making comments about their work, social life and also their private life which because they use these sites is no longer private.

Good advice is not to use these social network sites if you can help it and if you can't take care what you say and just be professional at all times.
    As usual excellent points made by the Bossman.

Thank Post
    "they suck at what they do"
    I reckon in principle that could also lead to another game to play: corporate defamation.

Re. my work I'll just say it's typical pubic sector and let folk fill in the implications however they like.

people want more and more freedom
    I'm not convinced by that (not least coz of the blind-spot re. the Labour governments).. or is it just that techs are better at perceiving how they're throwing it away?
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 9th June 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Whatever that means. Did a proper lawyer write that?
    I wrote it, but it was run past our lawyers!

Thank Post
    facebook is an open forum and sometimes people using it to just vent... Not everything should be taken literally.

Search Lackey - The Easy Way To Search

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    All our members of staff have been advised not to use any of these social networks for fear of reprisals from pupils and also other members of staff.

People have and will be in the future hauled over the coals for making comments about their work, social life and also their private life which because they use these sites is no longer private.

Good advice is not to use these social network sites if you can help it and if you can't take care what you say and just be professional at all times.
    I totally disagree with that.
    Why should I be denied access to something because I work at a school?
    I have relatives far away and the only way we keep in touch is through FB.
    We had an e safety person in to the school from county and she said the same as you that if you work in a scholl then dont use FB.
    I challenged her on that and she admitted that there was nothing to stop you.
    If you use Fb (or ANY other social site) then NO MATTER what your job, you should be professional in what you write.
    But me saying about having a good weekend and going to a medieval fayre with pictures so that my relatives can see has got f**k all to do with work.
    I have my boss as a friend and very few others from work.
    I only write things on there that I am happy to say in public.
    Alan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12