+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, RM in Technical; Originally Posted by witch Interesting - some very different views here - could it be that RM filtering etc is ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Interesting - some very different views here - could it be that RM filtering etc is fine for primary but not senior schools?
    I've not had a massive problem with the with a 13-18 age group. After you get past the "why can't we go on facebook" and other sites not remotely educationally related it's OK. As we are an independant school I don't have anyone above me (i.e. and LA) configuring the safteynet plus whcih means I just have the basics.

No filtering is 100% perfect. There are always going to be sites not blocked when they should be, blocked when they shouldn't and generally classified differently to what you think they should. You just have to find something you are happy with. RM are OK IMO, a bit pricey but OK.

Thank Post
    We have RM provided by our local RBC.

Most of it is adiquate, however easymail is unfit for purpose.

It's very slow and flaky.

Thank Post
    Does SafetyNet Plus offer any kind of reporting?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We use them for easymail, filtering etc. (as do the whole of SWGfL unless the school has opted out).
    I have always found the support very good on the phone - not so good via the support site so I always ring them.
    They are pleasant and helpful
    I take it you haven't had to log a call recently then?

Slow, surly and non-effective support until you've prodded them a couple of times. Even a firewall rule change can take weeks to complete and you can almost forget anything more complicated. They seem to get lost in the ether.

We've finally ditched them and will soon be getting a much faster (10x) connection for the same price and that's after buying our Watchguard XTM830 UTM firewall (whoop - instant changes and this box may make Smoothwall redundant as well).

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    at my last schoolwe used them as an ISP, easymail webmail and their content filtering too.

Every single one of those was outdated, badly performing and time consuming to administer - during my time there we replaced all the rm items (exchange for mail and smoothwall for filtering).

The change in the degree of configurable options and pure functionality made a huge difference not only to teaching and learning but to the way the school ran as a whole.

Never underestimate the value of webfiltering and communication that is AD integrated.

Possibly if you're a smaller school or a primary you wouldn't miss the extra features that RM products are missing - but if you're a larger school or are trying to push towards a more technically complete way of working I word push for an alternative.
    I really don't understand how any company doesn't offer AD integration it's a piece of cake to do

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    I take it you haven't had to log a call recently then?

Slow, surly and non-effective support until you've prodded them a couple of times. Even a firewall rule change can take weeks to complete and you can almost forget anything more complicated. They seem to get lost in the ether.

We've finally ditched them and will soon be getting a much faster (10x) connection for the same price and that's after buying our Watchguard XTM830 UTM firewall (whoop - instant changes and this box may make Smoothwall redundant as well).

HBJB
    Is the Watchguard not a *little* more pricey than the Smoothwall?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    I really don't understand how any company doesn't offer AD integration it's a piece of cake to do
    RM do offer AD integration with SafetyNet Universal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Is the Watchguard not a *little* more pricey than the Smoothwall?
    Yeah but we're not using Smoothwall as a firewall - just filtering and we didn't have the hardware version so it saves us a VM, costs the same annually and gets rid of the SWGfL all in one orangey red package.

HBJB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information