+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet Safety Resources for Primary in Technical; Speaking to the Primaries here, what do you guys use for Internet safety training? Ideally we're looking for something which ...
    Thank Post

Internet Safety Resources for Primary

Speaking to the Primaries here, what do you guys use for Internet safety training? Ideally we're looking for something which can be given to /done with the kids plus a letter home (don't have to be from the same organisation). Basically, we want something about selecting appropriate search terms and what to do if you see something you don't like. We will be setting up something more structured next year, however we need something for next week as a response to An Incident.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thinkuknow - home has lots of resources to help with this. Combine it with parent sessions as well and it can be very effective.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    I have a PowerPoint that I use with Years 4-6 which starts with discussing how computers c are used (and what else can access the internet) and leads into the "Jigsaw" video from ThinkUKnow. In the process it brings up accuracy (Wikipedia!) and content (illegal and 'not nice') and also takes in cyber bullying and grooming.... taking in the power of the 'Off' button when things are not right, whether it's on a PC or a mobile phone.

From a Safeguarding POV, the school needs to have a simple, consistant message to all about what to do when they see something they don't like at school. here we use the Hector screensaver and the children all know that, if they see something they don't like, they must click on Hector and call an adult. Some schools simply tell the children to switch off the monitor and then call an adult - same effect.

Like Grumbledook, I must recommend the resources in ThinkUKnow... there are loads and they are very good.

I am in the process of developing materials to use with Year 3 and KS1 based on ThinkUKnow's "Lee and Kim"... this is e-Safety within the stranger-danger message and is aimed at younger children.

I have also been doing sessions with parents which have been effective. I've also done all our staff (cooks and cleaners - teachers) with a separate presentation aimed at giving them the e-Safety message combined with a "protecting yourself" message. This has now become part of our staff induction process.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 7th May 2010 at 02:30 PM.

4. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

SimpleSi (7th May 2010)

Thank Post
    I have been round all of our partner primaries over the last couple of weeks and put together my own powerpoint but used the ThinkUKnow Jigsaw video - really strong message.

YouTube - Jigsaw: Assembly for 8 10 year olds

Suitable for students aged 8 - 10.

I also dish out the attached Facebook sheet and get the students to fill it in so they are thinking about the sort of information that students their age are putting on facebook - then ask the question if they would tell strangers in the street that information which they all say no, so then I ask the question so why do it online?

6. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

elsiegee40 (7th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Missing attachment!
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

elsiegee40 (7th May 2010)

Thank Post
    I can also recommend the CBBC materials for primary age children; especially the Newsround Special film "Welcom to WonderWebWorld"

BBC - CBBC - Web Help - Stay Safe: Internet Safety for Children

10. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Sylv3r (7th May 2010)

Thank Post
    re. Facebook and primary kids, would it not be more appropriate to point out - and then explain why - their Ts&Cs say you must be 13 or over to sign up...

Thank Post
    I 'do' Facebook, but arrive at it via age-appropriacy of films, websites and other activities (drinking, smoking) and also via who are you 'friends' and do you tell all your friends, everything?

Once we've decided that you don't take everyone you know into your bedroom and show them your holiday pictures, then we get onto Facebook.

I tell the kids I'm not friends on Facebook with any of the teachers (true); if I want them to see my photos I bring them to the staff room at coffee break; that while we're friends, we don't know everything about each other. I am friends with people like my best friend from school who lives in California and members of my family (none of whom live locally). I tell them that I think FaceBook is a wonderful thing for keeping in touch with people who live far away, BUT...

At this point the nightmare of Facebook's settings is told... 25 different privacy settings and one for every photo album...

From what the parents have been telling me, my FaceBook discussions have been effective with Years 4-6. I won't kid myself that this will last, but maybe they will be warey when they do join!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread