+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Mcafee Kill Windows XP... in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Mcafee Kill Windows XP...

Just had to resolve this issue - it corrupted the SVCHOST.EXE file

Now had this email from McAfee...

In the past 24 hours, McAfee identified a new threat that impacts Windows PCs. Researchers worked diligently to address this threat that attacks critical Windows system executables and buries itself deep into a computer's memory.
    The research team created detection and removal to address this threat. The remediation passed our quality testing and was released with the 5958 virus definition file at 2.00 PM GMT+1 (6am Pacific Time) on Wednesday, April 21.
    McAfee is aware that a number of customers have incurred a false positive error due to this release. Corporations who kept a feature called “Scan Processes on Enable” in McAfee VirusScan Enterprise disabled, as it is by default, were not affected.
    Our initial investigation indicates that the error can result in moderate to significant issues on systems running Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    The faulty update was quickly removed from all McAfee download servers, preventing any further impact on customers. We believe that this incident has impacted less than one half of one percent of our enterprise accounts globally and a fraction of that within the consumer base.
    McAfee teams are working with the highest priority to support impacted customers. We have also worked swiftly and released an updated virus definition file (5959) within hours and are providing our customers detailed guidance on how to repair any impacted systems.
    Corporate Customers
    These entries in our virus information library and the knowledge base provide workarounds for this issue for corporate customers.
    Consumers
    This support page provides information for impacted consumers.
    We are investigating how the incorrect detection made it into our DAT files and will take measures to prevent this from reoccurring.
    We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused our customers and will update the Security Insights blog posting more details as they become available.
    For further assistance please, go to www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact and click the country you are from to reach the appropriate McAfee Support contact details.
    Regards,
    Guessing someones a**e will be getting severely kicked for that!

Thank Post
    It's broken my home computer so i won't be able to record Eastenders this evening. Oh, hang on, that's a bonus isn't it?

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    It's broken my home computer so i won't be able to record Eastenders this evening. Oh, hang on, that's a bonus isn't it?
    Lucky escape

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    its crippled our network today!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And people said sophos were bad.... (I still dont think really very highly of sophos though)
    Bad sophos IDE's are rare where this has happened before with McAfee.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Lucky escape
    Lucky escape here too... just hoping Father-in-law has escaped.

Thank Post
    Fortunatly we use NOD32......then again they did remove Dameware Mini Remote from all of my clients last year

Thank Post
    For some reason my EPO server failed to update today so I'm a about 2 DAT versions below the problem one. Dodged that bullet. Think I'll leave it off for a day or too until they sort them selves out. (yes I know they've already pulled the problem update but it never hurts to be safe).

Thank Post
    This was on our Cashless Catering System (Cunninghams) - restored SVCHOST.exe from an XP cd and uninstalled McAfee - got tills back up just as the kids came in for lunch!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    This was on our Cashless Catering System (Cunninghams) - restored SVCHOST.exe from an XP cd and uninstalled McAfee - got tills back up just as the kids came in for lunch!!

BBC News - Security update hits Window PCs

Cunninghams eh, one of their engineers bought conficker in on a USB drive (late last year not during the initial outbreak) fortunatly we were patched but a new machine that he was working on with admin rights was infected and a couple of unpatched test machines got it as well. I only noticed when one of the DC's started running slow and I investigated that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread