+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, LGFL synetrix web filtering in Technical; Hi guys, we use lgfl synetrix url filtering. my head asked me to unblock the youtube for teachers only. how ...
    Thank Post

LGFL synetrix web filtering

Hi guys,
    we use lgfl synetrix url filtering. my head asked me to unblock the youtube for teachers only. how do i do this in synetrix url filtering? any one familiar with LGFL please help.

Thank Post
    Pretty sure you can't I'm afraid. AFIK the Synetrix proxy doesn't provide multiple levels of filtering - it's either on or off. This is what prompted us to implement a DansGuardian/Squid proxy that filters internally then forwards on to Synetrix. That way we allow youtube on Synetrix, but block it for students only on our internal proxy.

EDIT: We implemented this 2 years ago or so, they may have implemented multiple groups since. However even if they have we find we get a greater level of control from our internal set up...
    Last edited by Tyiell; 21st April 2010 at 11:54 AM.

3. Thanks to Tyiell from:

lionsl2005 (21st April 2010)

Thank Post
    HI

We dual filter with a squid and dansguardian box as well.

Richard

5. Thanks to ricki from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    HI

We dual filter with a squid and dansguardian box as well.

Richard
    Same here gives you that little bit more control

7. Thanks to rush_tech from:

Thank Post
    If your teachers always use computers in a specific IP range and pupils in a different one then you can create separate policies accordingly within Netsweeper. However, if like us you don't and it's determined purely by DHCP then YouTube is either on or off. You'll have to put your own content filter between Synetrix and your computers to allow user group access.

I'm just about to start looking at options myself as we only currently have Synetrix filtering through EMBC and had to switch YouTube off due to some of the content pupils have access to. This wasn't popular at all with some members of staff!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    This wasn't popular at all with some members of staff!
    I can imagine!!! If I tried that I would be shot, stabbed, hung, drawn, quartered, castrated and burned...

10. Thanks to Tyiell from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    I can imagine!!! If I tried that I would be shot, stabbed, hung, drawn, quartered, castrated and burned...
    Despite explaining very clearly during staff briefing why it had been done as well as explaining very clearly to all staff via email why it had been done and why the only option was to completely switch off YouTube one member of staff still rang to complain and then went to the Head Teacher. Fortunately I had already got his backing!

Thank Post
    Pretty sure you can't I'm afraid. AFIK the Synetrix proxy doesn't provide multiple levels of filtering - it's either on or off. This is what prompted us to implement a DansGuardian/Squid proxy that filters internally then forwards on to Synetrix. That way we allow youtube on Synetrix, but block it for students only on our internal proxy.

EDIT: We implemented this 2 years ago or so, they may have implemented multiple groups since. However even if they have we find we get a greater level of control from our internal set up...
    I would love to do that? how do i do?

Thank Post
    We use ISA Server and upstream proxy to synetrix. We then shove anything we don't want filtered by synetrix into various bypass groups (one for admins, one for staff, one for all users) which route round the upstream proxy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsl2005 View Post
    I would love to do that? how do i do?
    You will need a server running a form of linux (my preference is Ubuntu or Debian - I find Ubuntu easier and reliable enough, but debian is more stable). Then you set it up with squid and dansguardian (how-to links to follow) and set a GPO on your domain to force all browsers to use the new server as a proxy.

Thank Post
    www.howtoforge.com is the best resource I have found for Linux help and how-tos. Here are the guides I have used in the past:

How To Install And Configure Dansguardian With Multi-Group Filtering And Squid With NTLM Auth On Debian Etch | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Dansguardian Content Filtering With Transparent Proxy On Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

That first one will work for Ubuntu as well - they are similar to use. The first one authenticates users with ntlm meaning you don't have to run anything on the client to identify the users - the best method I think. I have recently set this up on the latest Ubuntu release (9.10 Karmic), so feel free to give me a shout if you have a go and get stuck!!

16. Thanks to Tyiell from:

lionsl2005 (22nd April 2010)

Thank Post
    How To Install And Configure Dansguardian With Multi-Group Filtering And Squid With NTLM Auth On Debian Etch | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    Note - this is for Etch, the previous stable version. In Lenny the samba and winbind things changed a little, you may find there are differences in the configurations.

18. 2 Thanks to powdarrmonkey:

lionsl2005 (22nd April 2010), Tyiell (21st April 2010)

Thank Post
    You will need a server running a form of linux (my preference is Ubuntu or Debian - I find Ubuntu easier and reliable enough, but debian is more stable). Then you set it up with squid and dansguardian (how-to links to follow) and set a GPO on your domain to force all browsers to use the new server as a proxy.
    im not confident with linux ( never tried the linux as a server) we have 2008 server. is it easy to have a linux server? what are the hardware specs?

Thank Post
    Hardware specs are much less than windows - we have a filter server running on a decent quality desktop pc (Dual-Core 1.6Ghz with 1GB ram) - it flies. Although if the whole school is running through it a gigabit network card is probably best!

Although not strictly recommended, we don't use the server edition - Ubuntu Desktop Edition is fairly intuitive to use and is stable enough for the job (debian more so, but I prefer Ubuntu for ease of use) - IMO although ideal, the server edition makes it more awkward to set up...

21. Thanks to Tyiell from:

lionsl2005 (22nd April 2010)

Thank Post
    For those not really wanting to get their feet wet in linux, there is another solution.. it is more costly, but you might like it! (See link in sig..)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast