+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Staff can't access personal email in Technical; County has installed smoothwall filters on the LEA broadband and this morning I'm getting inundated with calls from staff who ...

Thank Post

Staff can't access personal email

County has installed smoothwall filters on the LEA broadband and this morning I'm getting inundated with calls from staff who can't access their personal webmail. I'm reluctant to bother the broadband team, as I expect they have a lot of proper things to sort out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    The county, or smoothwall may have blocked all webmail -this is the default position for my LA and others

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do they live with not allowing web mail if I did that my life would not be worth living.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Dunno - but it is! They manage somehow

Thank Post
    It's blocked for us - why should they need personal email in school? Anything work related goes through school email, anything else should not be used during working hours IMO.

6. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Sylv3r (21st April 2010)

Thank Post
    It's not all webmail, Orange and BT seems to be ok. I'm just telling staff to hold tight and make sure any work related stuff is sent to their school email address.

Thank Post
    Our grid block webmail as standard, and we're happy with that. Our AUP clearly says that the staff use the network for work-related purposes so they can't really claim that they need their webmail. If for any reason they do, then they have to come and see me, sit at my desk and I over-ride the filter so they access it in a supervised manner.

We have no complaints at all over this system here

Thank Post
    We chose to block years ago when virused attachments to Hotmail led us to re-think our position.
    We had a few complaints back then, and occasionally get the odd query now and again, but the sentance above from 3s-gtec is entirely correct and the same response I give.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Its very common place to block webmail, certainly for students its needed for safeguarding, so its easier to just block the lot IMHO. We do allow it at present but thats due to the poor old E-mail system we had but now that's gone I suspect we may well change this view perhaps after summer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest why would staff use their personal email during work time? Usually they would be doing it instead of using the provided work email for contacting folk, possibly sending possibly sensitive information out onto the internet before it comes back into the school. They should also consider that the removal of external email is in their interest. Ideally your school email should be filtered and retained for a period of time, allowing some protection for staff from allegations of unsuitable contact with students and vice versa.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @all:

Our staff only have access to our school e-mail system which is monitored as per AUP for staff, there should be no reason whatsoever of staff having or using any other e-mail service whilst at school for safeguarding purposes.

This has been like this since webman and myself took over the network and the staff appreciate that it is available 24/7 - 365 unlike the county's e-mail service which has been down today for at least 4 hours.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    To be honest why would staff use their personal email during work time?
    Because they may wish to conduct non-school-related correspondance in their lunch break? Email a friend/relative/whatever? Check if their sofa will be delivered this evening or not? There's lots of legitimate reasons to use personal email at work that have nothing to do with leaking sensitive data or kiddy-fiddling.

I can do all of that from my phone, not everyone can.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Because they may wish to conduct non-school-related correspondance in their lunch break? Email a friend/relative/whatever? Check if their sofa will be delivered this evening or not? There's lots of legitimate reasons to use personal email at work that have nothing to do with leaking sensitive data or kiddy-fiddling.

I can do all of that from my phone, not everyone can.
    It is largely down to each individual school and the rules set out in your AUP. I can see your point about wanting to allow access during breaks, but my personal view (which happens to be in line with my school too) is that people are here to either teach or learn, not spend time on personal activities. Resource are here to support teaching and learning, not for anything else. Security and safeguarding policies enforce the reason for blocking access, so together with the reason above there is no reason to adapt.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    To be honest why would staff use their personal email during work time? .
    Because apparently..
    "I use my [insert generic webmail] here for [some important school activity] (even though I am provided with a school E-mail account"
    - Multiple un-named staff members

We do allow staff to access their webmail however I did point out when the oldweb filtering went wappy that I am only required to have the school one working. If the external one doesn't work then I may get round to looking at it but I'm not going to rush. It does depend on the school and I'd quite like to block it as some are as bad as the kids for being on it during work time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Because apparently..
    "I use my [insert generic webmail] here for [some important school activity] (even though I am provided with a school E-mail account"
    - Multiple un-named staff members

We do allow staff to access their webmail however I did point out when the oldweb filtering went wappy that I am only required to have the school one working. If the external one doesn't work then I may get round to looking at it but I'm not going to rush. It does depend on the school and I'd quite like to block it as some are as bad as the kids for being on it during work time.
    You will probably find that they are in breach of Local Authority policy's, ours is very clearly stipulated in it, and we will be re-emphasising it with the updated AUPs this summer, that all communication related to school matters must be from an officially provide and registered school E-mail, with each clearly stating who it is from, your role and establishment. Thus use of personal email is strictly forbidden for those needs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast