+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Non-English Web Sites in Technical; What is your policy regarding filtering non-English web sites? We don't have much trouble with them here, but they do ...
    Thank Post

Non-English Web Sites

What is your policy regarding filtering non-English web sites? We don't have much trouble with them here, but they do get some use and a couple of times, I've seen the users look cautiously around the room (sometimes directly at me) before going on them, which just sets me wondering about what sort of site they're actually on (cynical? me?!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Back at my last school (where I was a lackey and thus had nowt to do with policy), Polish game sites were a constant pain in the . No matter how many Flash-related and games-related words you added to the block list, there was always some little wotsit who'd gotten the Polish word for "game" out of one of our newcomers and found another site to play games on.

Note I have nothing against the Polish and I don't read the Daily Mail except when I want to get wound up about the state of the press etc. - just that this was a problem we were constantly battling, as we had to block them on a site-by-site basis as we spoke no Polish ourselves to find out which phrases to block.

Thank Post
    I was last in East Anglia where a lot of students were from Eastern Europe and we had this exact problem.

Again nothing wrong with the kids, it was mostly the English kids seeing an opportunity to learn another language for their own gain.

If only our MFL department could inspire such enthusiasm.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pwds View Post
    I was last in East Anglia where a lot of students were from Eastern Europe and we had this exact problem.

Again nothing wrong with the kids, it was mostly the English kids seeing an opportunity to learn another language for their own gain.

If only our MFL department could inspire such enthusiasm.
    Same as I often wished the IT department could tunnel the kids' enthusiasm for proxy sites into something useful... it's so frustrating to see them work so hard and so cleverly at circumventing our systems and then completely sacking off doing any actual work at all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread