+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Exa Networks in Technical; Does anyone use Exa Networks, either for isp, email or surfprotect ? Just wondering how good they are?...

Thank Post

Exa Networks

Does anyone use Exa Networks, either for isp, email or surfprotect ?
    Just wondering how good they are?

Thank Post
    We use them for our internet connection, web hosting and also use their surfprotect system.

They are the most helpful ISP I've ever had to deal with. They answer their phones within 3 rings maximum (24/7) and even help me out configuring stuff that isn't really their problem.

We've been with them for about 5 years now and have no intention of moving. We used to have 3 bonded ADSL's which worked fine, but have now upgraded to 3 load-balanced ADSL2+ lines (we use one line directly for our servers/email/moodle, and the other two are shared for general internet usage, all balanced across a Cisco 2811 router that they installed and manage for us.

Surfprotect was our main filter and it does a pretty good job as a filter across everything, but we wanted extra control (e.g. different filtering for different year groups, logging, etc) so now have a Smoothwall box as our primary filter, but Surfprotect still sits inline after the smoothwall as extra help.

Really helpful guys, and a very good product with what seems to me as reasonable prices for the quality of service you get.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I looked at getting 2 bonded ADSL lines from them for our Internet feed at work, and in the end due to a change with our LA in relation to costs of the service from them we didn't go with Exa, they were VERY helpful and understanding and clearly this carrys on once your a customer.

Thank Post
    We've been with them for 3/4 years, have had single ADSL lines and used their bonded ADSL lines. Never had a issue with them, staff very helpful and always happy to discuss ideas even if we dont go through with them.

Used to use their surfprotect until we got our smoothwall system.

Thank Post
    Afternoon, I know this is an old thread but we're also looking at moving away from Local authority. I would also be interested for feedback on their services, From the meeting I had with them they look like they know what they're doing. Cloud based filtering with AD integration sound pretty good all for free!

Regards
    Matt

Thank Post
    we've had exa now since I started this thread. Never had a problem with them. Connection is 99% reliable and school is in a rural area. As its uncontended we have no issue with speed at all. We don't use the AD integration, just broadband, filtering and email. Pupil mail is well laid out, staff mail is ok. Filtering is easy to use. They've been great - and always answer phone within 2 rings

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karldenton View Post
    we've had exa now since I started this thread. Never had a problem with them. Connection is 99% reliable and school is in a rural area. As its uncontended we have no issue with speed at all. We don't use the AD integration, just broadband, filtering and email. Pupil mail is well laid out, staff mail is ok. Filtering is easy to use. They've been great - and always answer phone within 2 rings
    Hi all,

I do know a bit about Exa as they are our main competitors. Generally they are a pretty good company (what's that you say us saying the competition are ok?!!?) however the 1:1 contention ratio they claim they can do on ADSL is simply not true. I've spoken with multiple LA's in the past and technically showed them why via BT or O2 (both carriers they use) how it simply can't be done.

How do I know this you say? Well it's simple, we use the same carriers to deliver our services. 1:1 on DSL is pure and utter rubbish, leased lines though is another matter of course.

if you want 1:1 use either

GEA-FTTC
    GEA-FTTP
    EFM
    Full fibre

Also I believe via Surfprotect they can't do AD integration and different access for individual IP addresses at the same time. Not very helpful if you have a stack load of IPADs or servers that can't integrate in Windows AD and you need different policies for them.....

Sorry for the slight rant, it's been rather frustrating when we've been competing against them and they've been telling the customer "porky pies" on what guaranteed speeds they can actually deliver over DSL.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread