+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Force YouTube Safety Mode in Technical; Many of you will be aware that YouTube have added a new feature called 'safety mode' to block inappropriate video ...

Thank Post

Force YouTube Safety Mode

Many of you will be aware that YouTube have added a new feature called 'safety mode' to block inappropriate video results. Please see their blog for more information.

I'm pleased to announce that we have added the ability to 'force' this safety mode on, via your SmoothWall product. This was released within the Tuesday 16th nightly blocklist update.

Those of you using the existing 'Force Safe search' rule should find YouTube is now supported.
    *Additionally* there is a specific rule “YouTube Safety Mode” under the Adult sub-section, which provides protection against Safety Mode from being disabled. It is recommended you add this new rule to an existing filter which you block.

We hope this will prove useful and any feedback, to myself or Tom, would be greatly appreciated.

2. 3 Thanks to nile_c:

flyinghaggis (20th December 2010), john (17th February 2010), Sylv3r (17th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Also noticed the youtube comments filter - is that new or have I just not been paying attention?

Thank Post
    Smoothwall related... if anyone can answer.

SWG1200 (stand alone web filter, up to 1000 users)
    SWG700 (stand alone web filter, up to 500 users)
    UTM1000 (advanced firewall, web filter up to 500 users)
    UTM300 (advanced firewall, web filter up to 250 users)
    Is that concurrent users?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Also noticed the youtube comments filter - is that new or have I just not been paying attention?
    The latter

I'll make a quick note while I'm on the subject of comments:

The new force Safety Mode feature turns expletives into xxxx. This is YouTube at work.
    Our older comment removal feature will remove user comments entirely. That is SmoothWall at work.

Mix and match, as you require.

Thank Post
    So, with this, are people allowing their pupils access to YouTube?

I assume with this on if I was to be clever and search for videos with obscure names, would the detection software still be able to pick up on anything they shouldn't get into or is it still in early form and not 100% perfect yet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    So, with this, are people allowing their pupils access to YouTube?

I assume with this on if I was to be clever and search for videos with obscure names, would the detection software still be able to pick up on anything they shouldn't get into or is it still in early form and not 100% perfect yet?
    Indeed, it's not completely effective. I'm just very happy that YouTube have embarked on that journey.
    One caveat would be that the feature doesn't apply to embedded vids.

However if they improve this to be something like daddies (Google) safe search then they're on to a winner, no?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nile_c View Post
    Many of you will be aware that YouTube have added a new feature called 'safety mode' to block inappropriate video results. Please see their blog for more information.

I'm pleased to announce that we have added the ability to 'force' this safety mode on, via your SmoothWall product. This was released within the Tuesday 16th nightly blocklist update.

Those of you using the existing 'Force Safe search' rule should find YouTube is now supported.
    *Additionally* there is a specific rule “YouTube Safety Mode” under the Adult sub-section, which provides protection against Safety Mode from being disabled. It is recommended you add this new rule to an existing filter which you block.

We hope this will prove useful and any feedback, to myself or Tom, would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Nile

Just what I have been looking for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Thanks Nile and crew, we will give this an evaluation perhaps with our 6th form and see how much dross it picks up, maybe use our pet 6th form students who come to visit me and my techy in our office as guineapigs get them to try it with us supervising on a test account and see what happens

Thank Post
    Hi Nile,

I've added the Youtube Safety Mode to the staff block, but when I look at the bottom of the Youtube page it still displays Safety Mode: Off.

Will this be because youtube.com is in the staff allow list?

Also where can i find "Force Safe search" I've looked everywhere!

Regards,

Michael
    Last edited by linkazoid; 12th March 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Please may I ask where am I actually looking in the smoothwall to implement this, I have found that the filtering section is rather vague.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linkazoid View Post
    Hi Nile,

I've added the Youtube Safety Mode to the staff block, but when I look at the bottom of the Youtube page it still displays Safety Mode: Off.

Will this be because youtube.com is in the staff allow list?

Yes, that's exactly right. If you switch the rule that allows your staff YT access from 'Allow' to 'Skip URL Blocking' this will allow the Safety Mode rule to work.

You will find the Force Safe Search rule on the 'Guardian >> filtering >> policy' page. It's a default rule from installation, so chances are you will have one. If it is already enabled, you don't need to do anything extra to enable the YouTube functionality.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joshjacklin View Post
    Please may I ask where am I actually looking in the smoothwall to implement this, I have found that the filtering section is rather vague.
    The functionality for YouTube Safety Mode is found in two places.

The first, is in the existing Force Safe Search rule. There in *no* additional configuration required if you already use force safe search for search engines.

The second, is a supplementary rule which prevents users from accessing the section of YouTube which toggles the Safety Mode setting. This is an extra bit of security that is not strictly required.
    That rule is part of the 'Adult' section and is named 'YouTube Safety Mode'. It is designed to be added to a filter, such as "Default AUP", which you are blocking.

14. 2 Thanks to nile_c:

joshjacklin (12th March 2010), Oops_my_bad (5th June 2011)

Thank Post
    excellent thank you for your help!

Thank Post
    I am sure I messed it up somewhere, but I seem to have the opposite affect. Saftey Mode is Off and they can not turn it On. When you are on YouTube and click to turn Safety Mode on it does not display that html.

On the smoothwall I have the following setup:
    1.guardian » filtering » filters : Default Content Security : Force SafeSearch is enabled (This policy is Applied)
    2.guardian » filtering » filters : Default Blocked Sites : YouTube Safety Mode [BETA] is enable (This policy is set to Block)

Please advise.

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Hi derickson,

The settings you've listed there are all correct. Unfortunately YouTube did some fiddling which removed the ability to force Safety Mode, as we had been doing.
    YouTube are aware of this and we've discussed how this might be resolved. I don't have an ETA of when this functionality will be restored, but it's something we are working towards!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast