+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Anyone tried running Websense on Win2K8 R2 in Technical; Simple Question, has anyone tried running Websense on Win 2K8 R2 or even 64 Bit 2K8? Apparently Websense dont support ...

Thank Post

Anyone tried running Websense on Win2K8 R2

Simple Question, has anyone tried running Websense on Win 2K8 R2 or even 64 Bit 2K8?

Apparently Websense dont support it, which isn't actually the same as "it won't work". Should it just run as a 32bit app?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not yet but it is on my to-do list, I want to try it with Forfront TMG on 2k8 R2 so it should be interesting. I think that the sole issue may be the filter stack/driver which by the sounds of it will be 32bit and may not play nice on a 32bit system. I'm still at least a couple of weeks away from testing it out though.

Thank Post
    (this was nearly a rant on Behind the Red Door).
    Officially they don't support it at all. This is a problem as I was intending to upgrade the servers at easter, thus i need place the order in the next couple of weeks to make sure i have the machines. However I need to know what they are!

Unless there is some blag round it I can't have 2K8 R2 and Websense! I think the phrase "Didn't you figure out things were going 64Bit couldn't you have written V7 such that it at least worked under 64bit OS's"!!!

I really don't want to sacrifice the OS for the sake of one piece of software. As 2K8 R2 is only 64Bit i'd have to go for 2k8. Either that or I look at their standalone box to act as web filter. Some I've seen a few posts that it works, though generally without Websense support.

I am going to get my laptop and install 2K8 R2 evaluation on a virtual machine and see how it goes. The problem is that I won't necessarily be able to fully test it as a web filter and verify the logging.

This may lead me to cancelling my subscription if I can't resolve this. Pity it's up in a month yet I've already paid! So that makes things more complicated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From all the marketing I have recived they are trying to push it a SaaS (Software as a service) cloud style. I imagine that this is their initial escape plan for x64. As long as I can get it running on x64 I will be using it, If i need support I'll just tell them its running on a 32bit 2008 server. I get the same from other providers who have not tested their software, so long as it works just don't tell them and they won't pannic

I would give it a good test first though, maybe install it as a VM then hook it up in production for a couple of days to give it a test run if you have the hardware or even an hour or so after staff have gone home to make sure there are no nasty suprises.

Thank Post
    I'll be honest I am going to have a go in a trial if i can but at the same time I might pencil in cancelling my contract.

I don't want to "risk it" and find I've wasted a boat load of money and have no internet filtering! And to be honest those Smoothwall people seem very nice, they get good press on here and I think work out a bit cheaper.

Thank Post
    I have just bought a new 64 bit server and was asuming web sense would be 64 bit.
    I have decided to still run 2k08 r2 as my proxy with tmg 2010.

I have installed web sense 7.5 on a 32 bit 2k3 app server for now, i have a plugin installed on the tmg 2k8 r2 box that is linked to web sense on other machine.

Is working fine.

If websense get there arse in gear and do a 64 bit version i'll already have the foundations there for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread