+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, There having a Laugh in Technical; Anybody going to take whats said in this article and put it into practise........ I mean do they not thing ...
    coquet636

There having a Laugh

Anybody going to take whats said in this article and put it into practise........ I mean do they not thing all are managed not just locked down for fun

Unblock the internet as some idiot says its good for the kids
    Last edited by coquet636; 11th February 2010 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    Anybody going to take whats said in this article and put it into practise........ I mean do they not thing all are managed not just locked down for fun

Unblock the internet as some idiot says its good for the kids
    There's been 2 posts on simelar articles. (can't find them at the moment)

It's nothing new really, my old LEA published an article over 2 years ago stating the same thing, they've never changed anything thou.

I won't state my view again, it's already on one of the other posts.

Mike.

Thank Post
    As far as I can see, what they are saying is an Internet access control system which operates with a whitelist is not good for children, but a 'managed' Internet access control system which operates a blacklist is.....

The report said: "Although the 13 schools which used 'locked down' systems kept their pupils safe while in school, such systems were less effective in helping them to learn how to use new technologies safely. These pupils were, therefore, more vulnerable overall."

The report said "managed" systems, which restricted access to some websites, were better in educating children. It recommended the approach is replicated in other schools to provide "richer learning experiences".

I thought most secondary schools employed a blacklist system of managing their Internet access?

We have an AUP that grants students free (monitored) access to the Internet excluding those sites in our/LA filter lists which contain content deemed unsuitable.... we can and occasionally do apply a whitelist to individual students who have consistently broken the AUP rules.

Thank Post
    We used to be on a blacklist with NINAA! A loverly little box.

Then I was ordered to move everyone to a whitelist once we had moved to the Cachepilot.

We went from being 99.99% safe to 99.99% unsafe in one day. The banned website list grew rapidly until the box started to crash because of overload. Then I unloaded the list and told the teachers to manage their classrooms or don't use them.

Now, when a member of staff asks me to block a website, I say no. If I block one games site, the students will find a 100 more the next day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread