+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Legality of Tracing an IP in Technical; Does anybody know what the law is on using sites such as this one to find out information related to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts

Legality of Tracing an IP

Does anybody know what the law is on using sites such as this one to find out information related to an IP address? I've used it recently to check on a website I was asked to visit and it returned some worrying results which I'd like to approach the person in question with but am reluctant to do so without knowing the legality of using such tools.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank Post
    Pretty sure there are no legal issues as the information is publicly held, if the server is in the UK or the person is in the UK you are covered under the freedom of information act to attain this information.

Not entirely sure on berating or making contact with the person. You can exclude your domain registration information if you are an individual to stop sites grabbing this information.

3. Thanks to ahuxham from:

LosOjos (2nd February 2010)

Thank Post
    No legal implications at all about tracing the 'owner' of an ip or website, you cant however request the information under the freedom of imformation unless they are a public sector body, private business are exempt from releasing information unless it relates directly to a publc sector contract or is already part of the public domain - a ltd companies accounts for example are held at companies house.

Thanks

James

5. Thanks to jamesreedersmith from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    So if for instance I were to be told to visit an IP address for one company, but the check done with the previously mentioned website claims the IP is registered to a completely unrelated company, would I be right to question the person who sent me that link?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its all public information, its perfectly legal you will be fine. The one exception is using a bunch of the firewall check tools on a IP address that you are not responcible for without permission as this can be a grey area because you are activly interogating their network.

Edit: If it looks dodgy then it might be advisable to ask questions, many companies don't have the skills to do things like domain registrations themselves though so it could just be a third party company that has done it for them and manages it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 2nd February 2010 at 02:08 PM.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    So if for instance I were to be told to visit an IP address for one company, but the check done with the previously mentioned website claims the IP is registered to a completely unrelated company, would I be right to question the person who sent me that link?
    It's possible a company is 'trading as' another name... not sure how that relates to your issue but be careful... if the reg company no is correct they may well state they are trading as.

EDIT: But in terms of tracing an IP it's not illegal, no - i'd be worried if they were using a hide details type service for 'anonymous'/private domain reg though, especially if they're supposed to be a business.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 2nd February 2010 at 02:42 PM.

10. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread