+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube Coming To Your School Soon in Technical; Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey You are promoting a site that actively encourages breaches of copyright. I don't think that's very ...
    AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    You are promoting a site that actively encourages breaches of copyright. I don't think that's very appropriate here.

I picked a couple of videos at random and they all happened to be from Teachers TV, who make it very clear that:

Besides this, I am also unable to promote your site to our staff because I'm unhappy with your own terms of use, for example:

Under what process are 'allegations' of copyright infringement put to you, with what supporting evidence? What constitutes 'notified' and how is it done? Who determines that the user is an infringer and how can he or she appeal?

That said, sort out things like this and arrange some good content and I'll certainly recommend the site to our staff.
    This copyright policy is to do with the website. There is another copyright policy to do with the videos. and i am fully allowed to publish the material on Education Tube.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    i am fully allowed to publish the material on Education Tube.
    Not without written consent from the copyright owner you're not. What part of this are you missing that makes you persistently justify your illegal actions?

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Not without written consent from the copyright owner you're not. What part of this are you missing that makes you persistently justify your illegal actions?
    i have an email from them stating there Creative Archive Licence

which clearly states.

"non-exclusive licence within the United Kingdom for the duration of copyright in the Work to copy and/or Share the Work and/or create, copy and/or Share Derivative Works on any platform in any media."

p.s. this is direcly above when you click to download a video therefore i have always been alowed to do this. not directly to me
    Last edited by AIT; 4th February 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    This copyright policy is to do with the website. There is another copyright policy to do with the videos.
    That's not clear to someone visiting the site; I had no idea you had a separate policy for your videos to your other content.

(I also realise now where that very detailed statement comes from; it's lifted directly from YouTube's. I knew it was familiar.)

and i am fully allowed to publish the material on Education Tube.
    You are now, having asked them, or you were when I raised my objections?

Edit: no, you have just answered that.

5. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

AIT (4th February 2010)

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    That's not clear to someone visiting the site; I had no idea you had a separate policy for your videos to your other content. --- this statment is to do with teacher tv!
    (I also realise now where that very detailed statement comes from; it's lifted directly from YouTube's. I knew it was familiar.)

You are now, having asked them, or you were when I raised my objections?

Edit: no, you have just answered that.
    -- the policy is directly above Click to download videos.

I don’t mean to be rude. But is anyone for this idea. As i have put rather a lot of effort into trying to set up an idea... (Not an expert by any means on copyright or even web design). -- i am not trying to do anything illegal or otherwise.
    Last edited by AIT; 4th February 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Thank Post
    If those things are Creative Commons, it sounds like you're okay. You do need to check everything which goes up, though - including, of course, things which your subscribers start posting.

As for whether I'm for the idea, I'm struggling for what you're doing which TeacherTube isn't doing better...

8. Thanks to enjay from:

AIT (4th February 2010)

AIT
    Thank Post
    Yes but the amount of ads and frankly inappropriate ads on teacher tube... also i really donít get on with the layout of teacher tube.

Again thank you everyone. I may moan but I do appreciate all the feedback..

Thank Post
    I'm a little lost here - perhaps it's just me not understanding the concept. Why would a school subscribe and pay money to a site that hosts TeacherTube content, when they can get it from TeacherTube for free ? I appreciate that you will have filters in place to block objectionable content, but my understanding is that it's our teachers who have to rate this content and deem it appropriate for use at our school ?

Currently we allow access to youTube for our staff and year 11 pupils only. Blocking access to you tube from within the school does not stop pupils bringing content in on pen drives, phones, email etc. We have considered some fairly low tech solutions (as well as the high tech ones) such as a row of big mirrors across the back of the IT suite, or a large TV at the front of the room with screen caps of all screens in the room. So if we're spending a lot of money on a solution I'd want to block / monitor more than just the one channel / medium.

We currently use Smoothwall for our content filtering and I'd be very interested to hear someone expand on the post above about using it to filter you tube content - can this be achieved in some way with the current version of smoothGuardian ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345