+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube Coming To Your School Soon in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    However my view is to take it to the stage where you can either submit youtube links and it converts them to be played from this site or having a “teacher login” that works as a proxy for youtube to unblock content for your school. Obviously not every school would want the same content unblocking so I would have to have some form of login for every school…
    Assuming you have the budget for it, a SmoothWall Network Guardian box would solve all of your YouTube problems. We're hoping to get one soon so that teachers can embed YouTube videos into our VLE, while still being able to block everything else on YouTube for students. Tom or Gavin would probably be the best people to ask about how that works though.

One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned is the copyright of the videos themselves. IANAL, but don't you have to get permission from the person/company that created a particular video before you can do other stuff with it e.g. converting and/or uploading it to another webhost?

Also, if you need a way to organise your educational YouTube videos you may want to look at MediaCore.

2. Thanks to Arthur from:

AIT (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    IANAL, but don't you have to get permission from the person/company that created a particular video before you can do other stuff with it e.g. converting and/or uploading it to another webhost?
    Correct, and it is in YouTube's Ts&Cs that you won't download them from YouTube too, i.e only watch them from the site itself or embedded as you describe doing in your VLE.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Having said that you are telling me no one downloads you tube videos???

if you would like a nice little tool that gives you the direct flv link try http://www.educationtube.co.uk/addon...er/grabber.php

In answer to the post above i was hoping that my solution would provide more of a community based solution rather than relying on smooth wall boxes.

Thank Post
    Having said that you are telling me no one downloads you tube videos???
    Not at all, I'm merely telling you they shouldn't download them.

6. 2 Thanks to enjay:

AIT (3rd February 2010), jdoyle (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    OMG that is an amazing idea!!!!

I have registered eduyoutube, educationyoutube, educateyoutube

I am going to build this site.

The schools could sign up to it having a standard filter or even having the ability to unblock content from youtube itself.

Obviously this needs to be free service and I am quite willing to provide it as we have no end of hassle with unblocking and blocking content from youtube so if staff could do this themselves.

any thoughts???
    Wow, make a suggestion, go away for a few days and this happens...i should have patented (or whatever) this and made milllllllllllionns.

Seriously though, a 'Thanks' would have been appreciated.

8. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

AIT (3rd February 2010)

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Wow, make a suggestion, go away for a few days and this happens...i should have patented (or whatever) this and made milllllllllllionns.

Seriously though, a 'Thanks' would have been appreciated.
    ok i have thanked.. make millions.. Hardly will cost a bob or too to keep going.. it merely solves a problem we have within our school and hopefully other people can find it useful.

p.s. come and join the site….

Thanks again...

becuase of legal issues its educationtube.co.uk but the other domains work too ;-)

Thank Post
    I appreciate everyone’s feedback. However i am still pressing my idea.

I agree with people that using YouTube might be wrong so here we have

Educational Tube
    You are promoting a site that actively encourages breaches of copyright. I don't think that's very appropriate here.

I picked a couple of videos at random and they all happened to be from Teachers TV, who make it very clear that:

Quote Originally Posted by TeachersTV
    3.2 You may not nor may you permit or assist others to copy, reproduce, republish, download or stream, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use any content from this Website except for your own personal non-commercial, educational use in the United Kingdom only or as otherwise permitted under any Special Conditions that may apply to any part of or any material on this Website.
    Besides this, I am also unable to promote your site to our staff because I'm unhappy with your own terms of use, for example:

Quote Originally Posted by you
    7. Copyright policy
    7.1 Education Tube operates a clear copyright policy in relation to any User Submissions which are alleged to infringe the copyright of a third party. Details of that policy can be found below.
    7.2 As part of Education Tube's copyright policy, Education Tube will terminate user access to the Website if a user has been determined to be a repeat infringer. A repeat infringer is a user who has been notified of infringing activity more than twice.
    Under what process are 'allegations' of copyright infringement put to you, with what supporting evidence? What constitutes 'notified' and how is it done? Who determines that the user is an infringer and how can he or she appeal?

That said, sort out things like this and arrange some good content and I'll certainly recommend the site to our staff.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Ok i appreciate you picking me up on these matters.. However how am i meant to get enough content to make people interested without "breaching copywriter".

Regarding teacher tv. I state the source of the video and it’s used in an educational way. I am aware this will not stand up. In your opinion what can be done?
    At the bottom of the terms there is a method of reporting copyright.

what would you like me to do to resolve these...

Thank Post
    @AIT: From a brief look at your site, it appears all your content is from Teachers.tv - I'd re-think this before you get slapped with a rather large legal document!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Clicking on a video to view it doesn't work from an NCC school as it's picked up by the filtering anyway I think is because the social networking link sites you are using.

Ben

Thank Post
    how am i meant to get enough content to make people interested without "breaching copywriter".
    And how am I supposed to be able to have every DVD I want without pirating them or stealing them from HMV?

Copyright is what it is; the fact that you don't like it, or that it gets in the way of you promoting your subscription-access website is irrelevant.

Thank Post
    what would you like me to do to resolve these...
    To put a more positive response, what you should do is contact the copyright owners and ask for their permission to use their video; it would be appropriate to offer them some share in the subscription fees if you decide to start charging, too. In the mean time, take the videos down until you have consent to use them.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    To put a more positive response, what you should do is contact the copyright owners and ask for their permission to use their video; it would be appropriate to offer them some share in the subscription fees if you decide to start charging, too. In the mean time, take the videos down until you have consent to use them.
    This is exactly what i have done. And i have a very nice email stating that its got to be approved from a higher place but shouldn’t be a problem. We shall wait and see.

Thank Post
    We shall wait and see.
    Until then, use of the videos is illegal, so I would suggest you take them down for now and put them back when they've been approved.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Until then, use of the videos is illegal, so I would suggest you take them down for now and put them back when they've been approved.
    not taken videos down. (well left the initial images. but stoped videos working from teacher tv).. hopfully they will respond soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast