+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube Coming To Your School Soon in Technical; I know this is not entirely to do with the topic but….. There was a suggestion further up the page ...
    AIT
    Thank Post

EduYouTube.com

I know this is not entirely to do with the topic but…..

There was a suggestion further up the page that youtube should create a sister page for education.
    Well here it is.. (I liked the idea so much and thought it could really be beneficial to my school / all of our feeders) Educational Videos Educational Videos Educational Videos
    Currently it’s just running as a youtube site.

However my view is to take it to the stage where you can either submit youtube links and it converts them to be played from this site or having a “teacher login” that works as a proxy for youtube to unblock content for your school. Obivously not every school would want the same content unblocking so I would have to have some form of login for every school…
    Any ideas would be apreciated.

If anyone wants to help me on this project it would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    I think by registering those domains you will have the you tube lawyers coming after you?

Ben

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I think by registering those domains you will have the you tube lawyers coming after you?

Ben

Really on what grounds?

So if I registered advanceditservices.com someone else “couldn’t” (shouldn’t) buy educationadvanceditservices…

Thank Post
    Firstly I think YouTube's lawyers would be interested in this site, not least because of the use of their trademark name.

Secondly, what would achieve with the "YouTube proxy" which you suggested would give the students unfettered access to all the unsavoury stuff on YouTube, and we would need to block your site! Unless you wanted to start verifying that everyone registering for a teacher account actually was a teacher. On a similar note, would you intend to moderate the comments?

Finally, you need to start marketing this site to all the teachers and other content creators who are currently using either YouTube or TeacherTube.

Good luck with it all...

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Firstly I think YouTube's lawyers would be interested in this site, not least because of the use of their trademark name.

Secondly, what would achieve with the "YouTube proxy" which you suggested would give the students unfettered access to all the unsavoury stuff on YouTube, and we would need to block your site! Unless you wanted to start verifying that everyone registering for a teacher account actually was a teacher. On a similar note, would you intend to moderate the comments?

Finally, you need to start marketing this site to all the teachers and other content creators who are currently using either YouTube or TeacherTube.

Good luck with it all...

I am suggesting either a paid or verified account process. So that teachers alone can have unfettered access and have the ability to add YouTube content to that particular schools access list.
    Therefore only videos added by teachers can be access.
    Comments: either totally get rid or have individual comments so only within school. (therefore be up to the school to moderate)

Guessing you guys don’t think it’s a good idea.

Thank Post
    teacher walks into the office this morning..... saw a video on YouTube re "Doomsday Asteroids" blah blah blah ... can I have access to show it to my class today (no mention about making it available to other teachers doing the same curriculum).

Checked the video and it's from Discovery Channel and available to download from the online DVR website

Channels.com Web Video Shows -

License checks out as OK for use in schools. We now have a high quality video in school ready to use via our internal streaming tool for all teachers of the subject not just the one teacher.

Thank Post
    I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, just that TeacherTube beat you to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    So if I registered advanceditservices.com someone else “couldn’t” (shouldn’t) buy educationadvanceditservices…
    That's a different example, since 'advanced' and 'it services' are just regular words; YouTube on the other hand is a registered trademark which isn't yours to use. Also, it could be argued that by using xyztube.com for a video site, you're trying to make money off their name and using their marketing to kick-start your own site, although that wouldn't fly as well I suspect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Google apps already have a free video service for schools so teachers can upload video, it had 10GB hosting free, which is quite a bit for online hosting.
    Google Video for business

We also record TV programs for teachers using mythtv, there hosted internally and also streamed over a we interface.

MythWeb - MythTV

Thank Post
    I agree that there's some really good educational material on youtube but we, at the teachers' insistance, allow pupils unrestricted access. I repeatedly see them using it to research "Mountains" or "Aztecs". What Lily Allen and Lady Gaga have to do with these subjects is beyond me but the teachers know better!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    I can't get that running here, but works fine from home so I'm guessing something is being blocked - does it stream the videos from another site or does everything come from *.channels.com, do you know?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    I can't get that running here, but works fine from home so I'm guessing something is being blocked - does it stream the videos from another site or does everything come from *.channels.com, do you know?
    If I remember correctly they feed from the publishers site (and in some instance that is YouTube). We don't use it to stream; it's just another mechanism we use to legally obtain video for internal storage/usage (our internet response time is so bad there are times when we can't even get onto edugeek).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    If I remember correctly they feed from the publishers site (and in some instance that is YouTube).
    That could explain it, certainly would for YouTube ones.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Google apps already have a free video service for schools so teachers can upload video, it had 10GB hosting free, which is quite a bit for online hosting.
    Google Video for business

We also record TV programs for teachers using mythtv, there hosted internally and also streamed over a we interface.

MythWeb - MythTV
    I'm now moving all the staff and students on to Google service for Schools... email, Docs, calendar, video, blog's

I'm setting it up to day and it comes with a 10yr archiving to so I can keep all emails sent and i can add filtering to keep a eye on the kids for bad words.

i have been told its free if you sign up to before April, then you have to pay for it, (that's the Archiving)

i have gone this route Coz.. netmedia has soled up as some of you know.. and as of next yr we will be charged for this service, so I'm moving now. and it has SPAM filter and anti-virus scanning.. netmedia does not have this type of service..

and the kids just get so much spam..

and it lets the teacher put video up for the kids and share it - instead of filling up my servers HDD 100GB of AVI so far.

i have a bat file and and ffmpeg set up to compress the AVI's that the cam coder makes down to MP4 250mb to 34mb not bad..

I'll stop now..

AIT
    Thank Post
    I appreciate everyone’s feedback. However i am still pressing my idea.

I agree with people that using YouTube might be wrong so here we have

Educational Tube or Educational Tube

Unlimited storage for everyone who signs up.
    Therefore having free and unlimited store for private and public content.

I am working on adding filtering features and enabling you to directly upload videos from youtube etc etc.

Thank Post
    Posted in another thread was a link to quietube | Video without the distractions | Youtube, iPlayer, Viddler, Vimeo and more which strips out all the extraneous gubbins and just leaves the video, which would address some of the concerns with YouTube.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast