+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, YouTube Coming To Your School Soon in Technical; Originally Posted by mjs_mjs We allow Teachers access to youtube but not students. We found that this resulted in the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    We allow Teachers access to youtube but not students.
    We found that this resulted in the students working hard to find out the teachers login & password - or even worse - the teacher letting students use their login because "little Johnny needed it and he's very trustworthy" - alas SLT are less use than a wet blanket - so actions like this go unremarked...

Thank Post
    we protect our limited (and often maxed out) Internet bandwidth from the "leave it to the last minute" teachers and the students looking for inappropriate content by blocking YouTube (or rather leaving it blocked at the SWGfL).

Where video content is found on YouTube/TeacherTube/etc that may be of benefit to students, we contact the original producers of the material and request a copy (often free) and load this onto our internal video streaming system (eStream). Much better quality video/audio.

Has anyone got any statistics to show that students accessing YouTube obtained better results than students being taught by a teacher?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    Has anyone got any statistics to show that students accessing YouTube obtained better results than students being taught by a teacher?
    To fight the teachers' corner for a moment (risky on this site, I know!) let's consider for a moment the genuine educational advantages of YouTube. I think, for example, of our Science Department who use a clip in which some Group 1 metals are dropped into water (there's only so far down the periodic table the teachers can go in class!) or an author the Primary kids are reading who has a series of interviews on YouTube.

Not all use of YouTube is by lazy or unprepared teachers, and not every teacher who uses it is doing so in order to be able to put their feet up.

Of course the stats you ask for don't exist, but one could probably produce stats showing the benefits of having a teacher who uses videos and visual demonstrations rather than a teacher who instead gives hours of dictation. If used correctly, videos are fantastic classroom resources.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    To fight the teachers' corner for a moment (risky on this site, I know!) let's consider for a moment the genuine educational advantages of YouTube. I think, for example, of our Science Department who use a clip in which some Group 1 metals are dropped into water (there's only so far down the periodic table the teachers can go in class!) or an author the Primary kids are reading who has a series of interviews on YouTube.

Not all use of YouTube is by lazy or unprepared teachers, and not every teacher who uses it is doing so in order to be able to put their feet up.

Of course the stats you ask for don't exist, but one could probably produce stats showing the benefits of having a teacher who uses videos and visual demonstrations rather than a teacher who instead gives hours of dictation. If used correctly, videos are fantastic classroom resources.
    not sure I dismissed the use of video - hence we gather good stuff where we can and bring it in house. For author videos, MeetTheAuthor would be a better resource than YouTube. Are there no Science videos on any other site or from any professional body that can be used? Ditto for other subjects.

Thank Post
    To fight the teachers' corner for a moment (risky on this site, I know!) let's consider for a moment the genuine educational advantages of YouTube.
    I don't think that (on the whole) people doubt that there can be some educational benefits to YT. It's more the worry about inappropriate use and content, failure to look at other resources, and the cost of the system the OP mentioned that seems ridiculous when there are various other cheaper/free options available. I'd personally be more than happy to let teachers use YT IF they all checked the pages for inappropriate comments and content (and took steps to "hide" anything like that) before display to the class AND didn't give out their log on details to children.

Thank Post
    For author videos, MeetTheAuthor would be a better resource than YouTube.
    Not if her videos are on YouTube it wouldn't be!

Are there no Science videos on any other site or from any professional body that can be used? Ditto for other subjects.
    Possibly. Probably, even. However, a number of professional bodies also use YouTube now, and many (most? all?) of the other sites lack the same quantity and/or variety as YouTube.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    failure to look at other resources
    If a suitable resource exists on YT, I don't see it as a failing that the teacher hasn't also tried it find it some place else.

the cost of the system the OP mentioned that seems ridiculous when there are various other cheaper/free options available.
    Absolutely. There are also ways of getting YT which don't cost thousands too.

I'd personally be more than happy to let teachers use YT IF they all checked the pages for inappropriate comments and content (and took steps to "hide" anything like that) before display to the class.
    The same applies to all other sites too, not just YT, and our staff are reminded about the importance of checking web sites before letting a class loose on them.

didn't give out their log on details to children.
    Any teacher caught doing that here would get a very stern talking to, from myself and SLT.

Thank Post
    Whilst, to some degree, I think we're reading from the same page:

If a suitable resource exists on YT, I don't see it as a failing that the teacher hasn't also tried it find it some place else.
    If the LEA has blocked YT and the first port of call is to bleat about it rather than look to see if the resource is available elsewhere, I'd say it is. Of course, if a lot of YT only content is genuinely needed, then it's obviously worth making a case for YT availability.

Absolutely. There are also ways of getting YT which don't cost thousands too.
    ...erm, that's what I said/meant.

The same applies to all other sites too, not just YT, and our staff are reminded about the importance of checking web sites before letting a class loose on them.

Any teacher caught doing that here would get a very stern talking to, from myself and SLT.
    Want to swap staff?

Thank Post
    Want to swap staff?
    No. You can't have them. They're mine, all mine I tell you!! Muhahahaha.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    As the article stated, it does seem a very expensive solution to provide 'safer' access to resources on just one website.

Why doesn't YouTube create an educated orientated sister website? If not free to schools, then for a small fee (has to be cheaper than £2000 to £10000 per annum as mentioned in article).

They could even call it EduTube, EduYouTube or even EducateYouTube
    OMG that is an amazing idea!!!!

I have registered eduyoutube, educationyoutube, educateyoutube

I am going to build this site.

The schools could sign up to it having a standard filter or even having the ability to unblock content from youtube itself.

Obviously this needs to be free service and I am quite willing to provide it as we have no end of hassle with unblocking and blocking content from youtube so if staff could do this themselves.

any thoughts???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    this proposed solution is going to costing between £2,500 and £10,000 a year per school
    Am I missing something or is this just a plugin for a transparent proxy that re-formats YouTube pages? Worth a couple of hundred a year, maybe?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    The BLOXX solution is a complete brand new box in addition to having a BLOXX filter allready isn't it?

We need to be able to pre approve video content in smoothwall thats all

Ben

Thank Post
    Not if her videos are on YouTube it wouldn't be!
    Hopefully she's looked on other sites first and not defaulted to YouTube as the lazy option.

Possibly. Probably, even. However, a number of professional bodies also use YouTube now, and many (most? all?) of the other sites lack the same quantity and/or variety as YouTube.

many (most? all?) of the other sites lack the issues associated with YT. For any professional bodies puting material on YT, I'd be contacting them directly to see if I could get a better quality version of their video. If they are hosting them on YT for free viewing they are generally very good at giving free copies to schools for internal streaming/projection. We've never had anyone come back to us and say no.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The BLOXX solution is a complete brand new box in addition to having a BLOXX filter allready isn't it?
    Ah, light dawns: article should actually read something along the lines of "Some schools are thinking of using Bloxx as their filtering solution, which can cost around £10,000 depending on features needed, number of users and so on, and does come on its own dedicated hardware. One handy new feature is that it can re-format YouTube pages to be better suited to school use.".

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    From a cursory glance, the BLOXX solution appears to be an overly complex YouTube proxy (although you would hope it does more than that).

I do seem to remember a certain company telling us all how to do this some time ago with their solution... Block youtube but allow specific channels?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast