+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Do you block the BNP website? in Technical; Do you block the BNP website for students? Whatever you personal views may be on what the party stands for, ...

Thank Post

Do you block the BNP website?

Do you block the BNP website for students?

Whatever you personal views may be on what the party stands for, they are still a valid political party in this country and therefore do we have the right to influence students policially by blocking their website? I know you have to tread carefully when teaching History not to influence students politically, so obviously we have to do the same with Website content to make sure we aren't being unfair against a particular party. Would blocking their website be seen a political influence, or can we justify it because of the extreme views the party has?

Please not I'm not a supporter of the party in any way shape or form, but I am keen to make sure I don't make judgements like this based on my own personal views, as there are many many other websites I'd block if it was a personal decision making process.

What do you think?

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    WSCC don't have it blocked, if we wanted to block it we could, but as you say its a valid political party, so if somebody wanted to access it from inside school they could kick up a fuss, but i am not sure whether the kids would be able to complain as they don't have the right to vote so you may be able to block it if deemed necessary from the powers at be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    smoothwall blocks it under 'intolerance'.
    don't really agree that we should be blocking political parties, but I can't be arsed to change it either.

Thank Post
    EMBC (Notts) block it for us, categorised as Global List.

As it's our policy that we don't override EMBC filters without SLG consent, I guess it's staying that way until someone notices / cares!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To prevent this kind of arguement, we have blocked all political parties of the UK. We have left European ones open for the fact that they cannot be voted in over here.

Thank Post
    We don't (using RM SafetyNet). We could if requested by adding it to local filter rules.
    If I was asked to I would suggest that this was another case where education should be applied rather than removal.

(Note - don't agree with their policies or values, but also don't think we should simply block something which has the opportunity to generate discussion and education)

Thank Post
    Although (as others have stated) I don't support the BNP and what they stand for behind the scenes, as people have pointed out, they are a valid party, so you have 2 choices:

1) Block ALL party websites (Labour, Conservative, Lib. Dems, etc, etc)
    or
    2) Don't block any unless they suddenly start putting up undesirable material on the site

In the media game, if labour are given a 10 minute slot to put out their party political broadcast running up to an election, thus every other legitimate political party are entitled to a 10 minute slot, whether they take it or not is up to them.

Our jobs in school isn't to filter what WE feel is right and wrong, but for staff in the school to educate the kids about moral issues and allow them to make their own minds up, so, in a nutshell, no it shouldn't be blocked unless you're willing to block every other party as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not blocked here, just tested. Can't think of a good reason to block it other than poor web design (like I can talk). Must say the colour choice put me in mind of the Murdoch empire (The Sun, Sky News, etc). Wonder if that was intentional?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So how do kid research politics if you block all political parties websites?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    So how do kid research politics if you block all political parties websites?
    Im guessing they would use the european ones as has been said they are not blocked

Thank Post
    The risk you have if you do block it and do not have a GOOD & VALID reason, is that BNP ( or any other party trouble-maker, sorry activist, can make it in to a cause cleb about censorship.

You do not ever want to be in the middle of such a publicity fest because as the tech your going to be hung out to dry one way or another.

I blocked in and others because it has a public forum area and Duston did not allow the use of forums due to abuse - IE, using them as chat rooms.

Its a Pandora's box though; where do you stop - newspapers? they are certainly biased at best. Charity sites? what about vested interest religious groups?

The pit is never ending. Bottom line is the schools SLT & Governance should set the rules in writing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not blocked here (SWGfL) and I doubt anyone would block it. Why give it the attention?

Thank Post
    Not blocked here, but if you block one you should block them all to keep a balance.

Thank Post
    It got landed in our "Intolerance" category when there was some particularly nasty material on there - it hasn't yet made it out of the sin-bin. Would like BECTA to clarify if it comes under their definition of intolerance - which includes "Content which advocates social intolerance"... quite a broad old church, I am sure you'll agree.

Personally, I would not block it. I think they should have a right to speak, however riddled with doylems their lot appear to be.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    It got landed in our "Intolerance" category when there was some particularly nasty material on there
    I'd have thought the BNP would be careful to keep their website within legal limits as regards any laws against hate speech and so on, otherwise they would attract legal problems.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast