+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smoothwall NG RAID faulty in Technical; Hi all, I hope someone can help, I've gone to make some changes to my smoothwall network guardian today and ...

Thank Post

Smoothwall NG RAID faulty

Hi all,

I hope someone can help, I've gone to make some changes to my smoothwall network guardian today and was presented with a big message stating "Error - One of the disks in the RAID array is faulty.
    For more information, please see the Disk information report."

I've clicked on disk information but as you can see in the attached screenshot no data is available.

Now the smoothwall was not setup by myself it was setup by a technician at the Cheshire county council and he has stupidly got rid of the dell utility partition which I'd normally use to check any errors on the server hard drives.

The problem I now have is I don't know which of my 2 hard drives in the RAID is having problems. Normally if one of the drives has a fault a red light will come on by the drive but both drives look perfectly healthy and now because i don't have the utility partition i'd normally use i can't run disk diagnostics.

So i guess my question is what can i do? Does smoothwall feature any utilities like this? If not can anyone recommend any other software I can use. My worry is coming into work tomorrow and finding smoothwall has completely failed and staff and students having no internet all day

So erm.... yeah sorry if that's a bit long winded but any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    If you have a look at that disk information report it should tell you which of the two disks is faulty. Now - as to finding out which one it is physically.. you may have to open the machine to find out which ones which on each sata channel, or read the serial number from each drive.

Edit: that's a link there in the alert.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What model of server is it, are you able to reboot it and go into the BIOS Level RAID configuration (not actual BIOS just appears at boot time eg pres Ctrl - S to enter RAID config...)

The other way would be to download and burn the correct Dell OpenManage Server Assistant CD from the dell drivers section for the type of server that you have and boot with that as it should have a raid diagnostics utility in it. Something like this Drivers and Downloads (may or may not be the right thing)

Thank Post
    The server should have come with a bootable diagnostics cd.

Thank Post
    The smoothie raid will be linux MD, so the BIOS raid stuff is unlikely to help. Its a case of identifying the faulty disk - and thats either by channel/port or serial number...

Thank Post
    The Disk information report is returning no information at all it is completely blank.

The server is a Dell Power Edge 1955. I'm assuming normally the information on the faulty Disk would show in the Disk Information reports?

I'm currently downloading some of dells diagnostic software so I will have to give that a try.

Thank Post
    Fonz: That's an odd one. Might be worth having a word with support, I know the disk info report has had a few minor changes recently...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Fonz: That's an odd one. Might be worth having a word with support, I know the disk info report has had a few minor changes recently...
    Hi Tom,

I'm getting more confused by the second, I've ran various disk checking utilities and both drives are coming back as healthy....

I'll try and call support later on today. One thing i did notice though is that this error only occurred after installing 2 recent updates so there could be a possibility it is being reported incorrectly? I dunno lol

Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    Fonz - it is possible. I would definitely suggest talking to support - let me know what the outcome is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Fonz - it is possible. I would definitely suggest talking to support - let me know what the outcome is.
    Hi Tom,

I've dropped support a quick email, I'll let you know how things go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread