+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet in Milton Keynes in Technical; Hi All, I am just wondering how many other schools in MK are connected throguh the OU for their internet? ...

Thank Post

Internet in Milton Keynes

Hi All,

I am just wondering how many other schools in MK are connected throguh the OU for their internet? I have been told in the past that every school is (both secondary and primary), but just wondered if this has changed over the years? We are looking at moving away, as we can find a comparable speed connection (10mbps) with other companies for a slightly cheaper cost, but is there any benefit with staying with the OU? Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Our current contract expires soon, so we need to move quick on this.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Hi sentinelprime2009, where about in MK are you?

All the schools I support get their access via the OU and am very happy with the quaility of service. Things to keep in mind are the extras you get with the mkschools.net. Things like the Filtered Proxy, mail relays with virus and SPAM filtering, Web site hosting + DNS provision for any domain name you are using etc.

Also if there are issues the support from Neil and the team mean their are fixed quickly.

Thank Post

Two schools I know

Hazeley and Oakgrove both use it.

I find the service very good and neil and his team are always helpful.

Also dont have much down time.

Thank Post
    We get the occasional speed issue here at SBE, but generally it is as good as any of the other RBCs. I've always found Neil and his team to be very helpful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Hi sentinelprime2009, where about in MK are you?
    I'm based in Leadenahll at St Paul's Catholic School. We have generally had reasonably good service for most of the time that I have been here (8 years), but recently since the academy was piggy backed off our internet connection, they preferred to blame us rather than check the issue out first. Turned out it was their issue all along. This behaviour of jumping the gun has become quite annoying. But I do agree with people, generally over the time their support, particularly from Neil and Chris, has been good, and the connection has been very stable.

Are there any reasons other than them mentioned to stay with the OU? I heard something about collaboration between schools, but really that doesn't depend on your ISP, so long as you have an internet connection.

Thank Post
    Think b4 jumping... the cost might kill you..

im in Bedford (hello) and having our Central Beds, do out internet means it's cheap we pay 6K for 20Mbit of we left then we will have to find a service provider that will comply to the becta standards and have filtering and get the same speed as we have now.. i think there’s only 5 ISP's that’s fall in to that range. i might be fed miss-info, but ( i will get to the point)

We pay 6k for 20Mbit to Central Beds
    If we did it our self we are looking rear 20K for 20mbits... (Cost is a killa)
    Anyhow Bedfordshire Council is moving to Janet.net soon (phat pipe)

Hmm i might have to get the caretaker to get virgin internet 50Mb and filter that lol.. (I know your thinking if it..lol )

Sounds like you have a good setup.. with the OU, you might want to give them networking Tips to speed things up like upgrade from 10mb. lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread