+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Website not updating for some people in Technical; Like many others, our school has been closed for most of the week. We have been putting updates on our ...
    Thank Post

Website not updating for some people

Like many others, our school has been closed for most of the week. We have been putting updates on our school website and the majority of people have been receiving these. However a small minority are saying what they see hasn't updated all week, and for those people when I have suggested doing a hard refresh (ctrl+f5) it then updates.

We're rather concerned some people (especially parents) may not be seeing all the updates we are posting. Will this purely be client based (in which case not much we can do) or is there anything we can do at our end to force it not to use cache?

The site is hosted by our county so we don't have access to any server settings (just our site via ftp).

Thank Post
    maybe ask them to apply content expiration on your site?

BoX

Thank Post
    Well I am only finding out after they have missed updates for a few days (only a handful of staff are telling me). I was rather hopeful there may be something we can do as a preventive measure rather than a per-person/computer basis..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Well I am only finding out after they have missed updates for a few days (only a handful of staff are telling me). I was rather hopeful there may be something we can do as a preventive measure rather than a per-person/computer basis..
    This is something that the host would have to do on the server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Like many others, our school has been closed for most of the week. We have been putting updates on our school website and the majority of people have been receiving these. However a small minority are saying what they see hasn't updated all week, and for those people when I have suggested doing a hard refresh (ctrl+f5) it then updates.

We're rather concerned some people (especially parents) may not be seeing all the updates we are posting. Will this purely be client based (in which case not much we can do) or is there anything we can do at our end to force it not to use cache?

The site is hosted by our county so we don't have access to any server settings (just our site via ftp).
    Have you looked at using <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE"> in the header of the html file?

This *should* instruct *most* browsers not to cache the content. However do check out:

&#34;Pragma&#58; No-cache&#34; Tag May Not Prevent Page from Being Cached

which advises about a fix for it.

Peter

6. Thanks to howartp from:

dgsmith (8th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howartp View Post
    Have you looked at using <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE"> in the header of the html file?

This *should* instruct *most* browsers not to cache the content. However do check out:

"Pragma: No-cache" Tag May Not Prevent Page from Being Cached

which advises about a fix for it.

Peter
    Thanks; we had the no-cache tag at the top but obviously this hasn't been effective, as per the article mentions it may not be. I'll try the suggestions in the article about putting a header at the bottom too. Thanks for posting that link!

Thank Post
    content expiry would be done on the server and would apply to all users of the site.

this is pretty much the same as <no cache> but done by the webserver itself.

BoX

BoX

Thank Post
    as the webmaster here at ponteland, i would like to ask how your website is made up? our old website was mostly image based created in fireworks, the website didnt update correctly on a lot of machines, due to the images being cached by the browser.

Now that we run a php/mySQL mostly text based site(written/designed/programed by myself) we dont have a problem, our site is also hosted by our LEA.

If you PM me the site link or post it up i may be able to identify and advise on why this is happening.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread