+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, FACEBOOK! in Technical; Originally Posted by LeMarchand FFS! Is it me, or are kids given entirely too much choice? They're kids, and not ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    FFS!

Is it me, or are kids given entirely too much choice? They're kids, and not necessarily capable of making the best decisions for themselves. I'm sure a lot of kids, if given the choice, wouldn't go to school or take any for of education at all!

As for Facebook in class - lots of teenagers like sex too. Perhaps we should allow them to have sex in class: it's a bit of exercise and improves their social skills.

Yeh I had to have a good laugh at the 'choice' comment, as though the majority of students would stop attending schools because they couldn't use their netbook of FB in class.

'Get to school now or you'll get a thick ear'

Thank Post
    Apart from the child protection aspects of social networking, every teacher I've spoken to regards it as a menance when in computer suites as it absorbs so much of students lesson time.

Not that it stops some of them using it in school themselves.....

Thank Post
    anyone seen kids using https to access facebook?

hard to believe it but we've just done a 5 day ban on facebook across the school(our head allows students to access it, was ok untill they came back after xmas almost all of them have come back as addicts),

took some of them 36hrs to realise they could access pages via https://. going to have to check it out a bit more tomorrow and as a quick fix added a DNS zone for facebook which broke it nicely in the short term.

I have a feeling this was due to SSL port being open on the firewall...... (we use DG/smoothwall express although 1 of toms lot is coming to see us soon ) but haven't had a real chance to look at it properly with my "senior" tech(18!) off sick this week.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    kids and the internet are like the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem"]infinite monkey theorem[/ame]....and it doesn't matter how unclever individuals are, collectively they figure stuff out quick.

the most foolproof system is a walled garden type affair in which "unknown" sites are blocked by default. Such is ours and applies to staff too. The most problems we have are kids playing flash games when they should be working.
    Last edited by browolf; 9th February 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    kids and the internet are like the infinite monkey theorem....and it doesn't matter how unclever individuals are, collectively they figure stuff out quick.

the most foolproof system is a walled garden type affair in which "unknown" sites are blocked by default. Such is ours and applies to staff too. The most problems we have are kids playing flash games when they should be working.
    You mean a whitelist?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    anyone seen kids using https to access facebook?

hard to believe it but we've just done a 5 day ban on facebook across the school(our head allows students to access it, was ok untill they came back after xmas almost all of them have come back as addicts),

took some of them 36hrs to realise they could access pages via https://. going to have to check it out a bit more tomorrow and as a quick fix added a DNS zone for facebook which broke it nicely in the short term.

I have a feeling this was due to SSL port being open on the firewall...... (we use DG/smoothwall express although 1 of toms lot is coming to see us soon ) but haven't had a real chance to look at it properly with my "senior" tech(18!) off sick this week.
    From experience, this approach won't work. I know, I used to do it too. Browolf is right - students will soon find ways round url blacklists, or DNS poisoning very quickly. We don't go as far as a whitelist (walled garden), though.

Our LA's ISP block facebook and similar social networking sites, and I had little idea how they were still spending all their lesson time on it.

When we got Smoothwall School Guardian two years ago, I found it blocking the whole load of proxies they had been using.

Facebook is dead in our school now (as far as we know!).

I would seriously recommend you get SG or something similar.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    perhaps using a program such as 'Terminator X' which reads the title in the window and closes if it displays a certain word 'Facebook' for example.
    Annoys them to hell and they soon give up trying
    That sounds hilarious. I don't have the problem at this school but I almost wish I did now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the persistence of kids really knows no bounds!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123