+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, 'Next Generation Securus' in Technical; ...

Thank Post

'Next Generation Securus'

Got this through to today. Might be worth a look at BETT.
    Announcing Securus ‘Next Generation’

· From February 2010, we are introducing a new product called Securus ‘Next Generation’ (Securus NG). Eventually, this product will replace all existing versions of Securus.

· ‘Next Generation’ offers the existing functionality of Securus combined with a new layout, extra reporting tools and enhanced alerting functions. It will also enable us to develop new tools much more quickly, which will benefit our customers in the future.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Sounds interesting, but i wonder it it'll run on any old box i can find rather than their £800 pc.

Thank Post
    I'm not a fan of Securus, so this is just going to be a moan.

Why can't you import the old logs?

Why can't the ruddy thing run as a VMWARE image or such?

Why are you locked into there hardware (current hardware is embedded\desktop grade NOT server)?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I'm not a fan of Securus, so this is just going to be a moan.

Why can't you import the old logs?

Why can't the ruddy thing run as a VMWARE image or such?

Why are you locked into there hardware (current hardware is embedded\desktop grade NOT server)?

i agree.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    Sounds interesting, but i wonder it it'll run on any old box i can find rather than their £800 pc.
    Indeed, very pricey. Will hopefully see what all the cost is for at BETT or take up their webinar offer.

Thank Post
    Considering we only bought Securus 3 months ago at most, and there was no mention of this update/upgrade I'm a little annoyed by the Next Generation that requires yet more expenditure... going to have a word with the sales guy I think!

Thank Post
    I like the "its a free upgrade, however you need a new server..." so its not really free then is it...

Gary

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gparr View Post
    I like the "its a free upgrade, however you need a new server..." so its not really free then is it...

Gary
    Not unless they are releasing a version that i can run in a virtual enviroment, then it would make sence. our securus server (the racked version) looks as if it's built on some high powered router, the mobo has 4 network sockets with possible 12 (not on securus tho) 900MHz processor (i think), serial on front... take away the securus and it's router hardware (i would say - have no technical knowledge to back this tho).

Thank Post
    I'm sure I saw a company offering the same thing, only it was a Windows-y application that used IIS so you could install it on any old hardware, unlike Securus what runs on there "own" OS on there own "lovely" hardware. Was it from the people who made ranger??

Thank Post
    I have it on reasonable authority that "new" Securus will solve a number of these gripes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Considering we only bought Securus 3 months ago at most, and there was no mention of this update/upgrade I'm a little annoyed by the Next Generation that requires yet more expenditure... going to have a word with the sales guy I think!
    Same here - had it less than 12 months and there was no mention that a new version was in development that would require cost. £800 is alot for our school and I think saying "it's free, BUT.. (it isn't really!)" isn't very good! If you MUST buy new hardware, it isn't free, so don't even mention the word.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    I have it on reasonable authority that "new" Securus will solve a number of these gripes.
    I wish that means they're doing another Dansguardian (and joining Smoothwall).

Thank Post
    something else to worry about dont think i will be buying the support this year anyone know of a good alternative.

Free upgrade I had to laugh at that one.

but we have had it for 5 years now how about a bit of loyalty to us customers give us the server dont be cheeky you make a fortune out of us for support/maintainance year after year.

Thank Post

Smile Securus Next Generation

Hello Everyone I woukd just like to introduce myself, my name is Jon and I work for Securus for my sins.
    I thought it prudent to respond to some of your comments.

1. Customers who have existing Securus will be supported until Jan 2013 so it's not a mandatory upgrade.
    2. There is going to be a VM version of Next Generation but there is a minimum spec for hardware.
    3. The reason old logs can not be imported is because they are completely different operating systems.
    4. Releasing any new product is going to upset sombody because they have just bought the earlier version and unfortunately that's the same with anything , mobile phones etc.

If you feel really aggrieved then contact your sales person or even myself to discuss and we will see what can be done.

I am always happy to discuss Securus with anyone.

Kind Regards

Jon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonehall View Post
    Hello Everyone I woukd just like to introduce myself, my name is Jon and I work for Securus for my sins.
    I thought it prudent to respond to some of your comments.

1. Customers who have existing Securus will be supported until Jan 2013 so it's not a mandatory upgrade.
    2. There is going to be a VM version of Next Generation but there is a minimum spec for hardware.
    3. The reason old logs can not be imported is because they are completely different operating systems.
    4. Releasing any new product is going to upset sombody because they have just bought the earlier version and unfortunately that's the same with anything , mobile phones etc.

If you feel really aggrieved then contact your sales person or even myself to discuss and we will see what can be done.

I am always happy to discuss Securus with anyone.

Kind Regards

Jon
    I had a demo of the NG Securus product from Bill at Bett, and as an existing customer I did like it. Unfortunately we just don't have the budget this year (or next I suspect) to get the new server unit. For existing customers with support contracts is their a cost for the VM version? We've already got a fully virtualised server environment (one reason why there's no budget ) so would have no problems running it, and I was told the additional cost was because of the new server unit.

Any info on the VM version would be great

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast