+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, 'Next Generation Securus' in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    When I asked, there is a cost for the VM version, if I remember correctly, £500 (so not much cheaper than the hardware version, even though you'll be providing the tin).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    When I asked, there is a cost for the VM version, if I remember correctly, £500 (so not much cheaper than the hardware version, even though you'll be providing the tin).
    Hmmm I'd have to question just what our support contract is giving us if the VM version is going to cost that much! I'd also have to question why we were initially told the upgrade cost was for the new server if the VM version is also going to be a paid for upgrade.

Time to go have a word with them I think

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I thought the reason it ran on their hardware was so that it was forensically secure and thus the evidenc ecould be used in court proceedings?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Hmmm I'd have to question just what our support contract is giving us if the VM version is going to cost that much! I'd also have to question why we were initially told the upgrade cost was for the new server if the VM version is also going to be a paid for upgrade.

Time to go have a word with them I think
    Good luck If you get anywhere, let me know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I thought the reason it ran on their hardware was so that it was forensically secure and thus the evidenc ecould be used in court proceedings?

Ben
    Would still be OK for courts if archived to WORM media.

Thank Post
    I saw the demo at BETT and yes, it is pretty impressive, but £795 for an upgrade? Essentially you'll be left with an old Securus server which is of no use to you once you install the Next Generation box. I'd have thought they would have taken this into account.

I'm interested to know why it costs so much for the upgrade. The server spec isn't anything special, and given the fact that they're charing £500 for the VM solution, I would assume the bulk of the £800 cost is for the Securus product as opposed to the hardware.

Impressive feature set but there's part of me which thinks it's a bit of a rip off.

Thank Post
    Okay, I have just seen on a suppliers website that new customers can purchase Securus NG for £795 and the licences are £14. So what exactly is free for existing customers? Anyone?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the old client can be used on the workstations? So nothing has changed there if that's the case.

Thank Post
    Do all/any of the features on Securus NG actually work? The URL blocking on our Securus install can be defeated by simply creating a shortcut to a URL and then clicking that shortcut repeatedly until securus fails

Its a 30 second speedbump

If these things dont work, has the technical support been upgraded to the NEXT GENERATION as well? Current responses to our problems have been along the lines of "lol, really? Thats odd. Bye"

Thank Post
    You could get a test box if they do them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    considering my problem we have spent 3 months looking into not having a clue why it was happening, worked out the problem... securus. we rang them and they knew it was a problem but didn't fancy telling us, so therefore is now currently off, i don't think we will be upgrading soon!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    considering my problem we have spent 3 months looking into not having a clue why it was happening, worked out the problem... securus. we rang them and they knew it was a problem but didn't fancy telling us, so therefore is now currently off, i don't think we will be upgrading soon!!
    Why what was happening?

To be fair, I wouldn't use Securus for web filtering anyway. It's good at what it does in terms of getting screen grabs but I don't think they're in the market for proper web filtering. I'd stick to using it just for screenshots.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Why what was happening?

To be fair, I wouldn't use Securus for web filtering anyway. It's good at what it does in terms of getting screen grabs but I don't think they're in the market for proper web filtering. I'd stick to using it just for screenshots.

Some users could not even open my computer or my docs etc, so couldn't save open anything everytime you tried it crashed explorer. we tried everything, it wasnt specific to a file server as we tried four, plus a linux samba share, we tried updating servers plus uninstalling macaffe we spent 3 months on and off thinking we had fixed. it wasnt just happening in one block so not a switching problem (or if it was, it was the main core switch, which we master reset to check). it was even happening when you tried to open the my docs while copied to the C:\ drive!!

Plus we didn't use it for web filtering, thats done at LEA level we used it for just violation reporting of dodgy things

Thank Post
    Please find attached revised pricing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

14. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

dgsmith (5th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    Sounds interesting, but i wonder it it'll run on any old box i can find rather than their £800 pc.
    Yes. You can run the ISO on any computer with a minimum spec of Intel Atom, 2Gb RAM and suggested 320Gb HDD.

Thank Post
    Bill,

Now that the pricing for the hardware version has been reduced, could you let us know whether the VM version is to be reduced in cost, and if not, why not?

Regards

Will

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast