+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, remove from Dlink DHCP static table in Technical; I recently got a nice shiny D-link-DSL-2640R router for my home. In the Lan setup page you can set some ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

remove from Dlink DHCP static table

I recently got a nice shiny D-link-DSL-2640R router for my home.

In the Lan setup page you can set some Mac addresses to receive a static Ip address. I would like to do this is I am starting to setup scripts for backups which require a static IP.

I have had two small problems.

The first is that I cannot see a button to remove entries from this table, for instance if I want to change the IP address of a computer in it and I would prefer to configure static addresses in the router's DHCP table than change the DHCP range and set the addresses manually on each computer.

The second problem is more of a speculation/query.

I have a very old unmanaged D-Link 5 port hub that I am using to minimize wires. There is an auto address showing up in the table as 0.0.0.0 .Could this be the hub as it has no address anywhere else ( I don't know much about hubs and switches) and if so would a cheap switch show up with its own IP in the table?

EDIT: the address 0.0.0.0 has the same MAC as one of the computers in the static table. I don't really understand this unless the router grabs the MAC from the first computer connected to the hub.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Usually the dlinks have a remove link beside each of the entries in the static ip table. Did check for the manual but dlink have removed it from the web.

As to the unmanaged switch it is completely transparent and has no ip smarts at all so will not be visible at all to the rest of the hardware from an IP prospective. The whole 0.0.0.0 thing is usually from when the pc already has an address then gets plugged in as it does not update the router and tell it what is going on so it shows up with no ip, usually nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Ah your edit made it a little clearer, the address 0.0.0.0 can also be the default gateway interface which the router will have. As it has grabbed the PCs MAC that is why they are the same.

Thank Post
    The 0.0.0.0/0 address is shorthand for 'everywhere', i.e. it matches everything.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Usually the dlinks have a remove link beside each of the entries in the static ip table. Did check for the manual but dlink have removed it from the web.
    Hmmm I don't have a remove button. Guess they hate me lol.

Anyway the 0.0.0.0 address is gone after a reboot.
    Last edited by llawwehttam; 4th January 2010 at 07:20 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread