+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, SMTP Error 553 in Technical; Hi there, Got a bit of a strange one in that we are running exchange 2003 Enterprise and recently 2 ...

Thank Post

SMTP Error 553

Hi there,

Got a bit of a strange one in that we are running exchange 2003 Enterprise and recently 2 or 3 of our users have been getting the following error

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
    #5.5.0 smtp;553-Message filtered.

Now I can e-mail to the address's the people in question are having problems e-mail to so I know it is nothing to do with our domain being blocked, and I have checked they are not putting some kind of strange attachment/signature when sending to these people. But they keep getting this bounceback e-mail when e-mailing to certain e-mail address's that were previously fine to e-mail.

I have been all up and down the Exchange settings and the users accounts and have so far come up with nothing. Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice or has had something similar happen to them?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    do you use a smart host ,

try this?

To resolve this issue, use the following steps:
    Start the Internet Services Manager, and then right-click (click with the right mouse button) the Web site.
    Click Properties, and then click the Server Extensions tab.
    Under Options, click Settings.
    In the E-mail Settings dialog box, specify how e-mail messages are to be sent:
    In the Web server's mail address box, type the e-mail address that you want to appear in the From line of e-mail messages sent by certain components in FrontPage, such as results forms.

NOTE: Be sure to use a valid e-mail address (do not use an IP address) that will not be filtered by your SMTP server. Many SMTP servers only allow e-mail from certain domains. Verify that the e-mail address that you use is included on the list of domains that the SMTP server will accept.
    In the Contact address box, type the e-mail address that users should write to if they have problems. The address you type will appear on error messages that are displayed for some problems encountered by users of FrontPage.
    In the SMTP Mail server box, type the name or IP address of the SMTP host that will route messages to or from the Web.
    In the Mail encoding box, select the mail-encoding scheme that you want to use for your e-mail messages. The default is 8-bit encoding, which is the most commonly used scheme. You can change from one encoding scheme to another if you know that an e-mail recipient uses a different encoding scheme and cannot interpret your messages.
    In the Character set box, select the name of the set of characters that you want to use in e-mail messages. Each character set is the alphabet of a language.
    Click OK to close the E-mail Settings dialog box, and then click OK to close the Web site Properties dialog box.

Thank Post
    Thanks Andy,

I tried that but no joy.

Sorry, I think I should clarify some things which might help.
    It is the local server that is generating the report. The only restrictions in play are size restrictions of 20mb incoming and outgoing. There are no attachments on these e-mails in question so I don't see how that restriction could be causing the problem here.

I have tried tracking the messages through Exchange System manager and it goes as far as starting Outbound Transfer of Message and then SMTP generates the NDR.

It is not every time that the users in question will get a NDR. Sometimes the e-mail goes through to the person they are e-mailing and sometimes they get a NDR. Having checked said e-mails for attachments/swear words I could see no reason why some would go through and not others.

Thank Post
    The clue is in the error (my emphasis):

Quote Originally Posted by phreak View Post
    There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
    #5.5.0 smtp;553-Message filtered.
    The report is generated by the Exchange server because it is the last server in the chain before the message is rejected. 553 is a hard error, so the message is returned.

Thank Post
    sure. But why then is is all of a sudden started happening to 3 of our users when sending emails to certain e-mail addresses and even then the NDR only happens randomly? If it was happening every time they sent an e-mail to that address then I would agree, but it doesn't. And it only happens for these 3 users.

Thank Post
    Because the administrator at the target network has changed something. I'm not psychic, so you'll have to ask them (snail mail?)
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 23rd December 2009 at 04:17 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread