+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Schedule Smoothwall for school hours only and display AUP? in Technical; I'm setting up a second smoothwall box here to cater for guest / student wireless using their own devices. Is ...

Thank Post

Schedule Smoothwall for school hours only and display AUP?

I'm setting up a second smoothwall box here to cater for guest / student wireless using their own devices. Is there an easy way on the smoothwall that I can get it to only allow clients internet access between 8am - 6pm?

Second problem, not a smoothwall one but I am trying to find some way I can I force a home page for people that connect but I have no idea where to start. Would be great to display a terms and conditions / AUP before it would allow them access. Sadly we dont have a "proper" managed wireless system here, instead I am using autonomous APs with VLANs / multiple SSIDs for the guest access (all the can access is the internet)

Any ideas?
    Last edited by ssiruuk2; 11th December 2009 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Hompeage enforcement is not something we currently support - its hard to detect a "first use of the day" reliably It is something we'd consider looking at though.

In terms of scheduling - create time objects for the ranges you wish to cover, and then create a policy using the built-in filter "everything", you can either allow or block at your leisure

Thank Post
    Thanks Tom, have set the time ranges in smoothwall now so thats sorted.

After a bit of googling it seems I need to setup a "Captive Portal" for their homepage / splash screen. Will keep looking into it, would be a very nice feature for smoothwall to have in the future

Thank Post
    NoCatNet <-- might get you started.

Thank Post
    Thanks Tom, problem with alot of these linux portals / open source projects is that they seem to rely on specific wifi routers (usually Linksys) and our Cisco IOS APs wouldn't work with them - If thats not the case they seem to be notoriously difficult to setup from what I can gauge from reading other forums. Im no linux guru by any stretch so I'd probably fail big time..

I found two interesting commercial bits of software today though which Im going to look at - both Windows / ISA based rather than linux which would suit me more.

Captive Portal Wi-Fi Hotspot Management - FirstSpot

Collective Software | Captivate

I'll post back if I have any success with either of them
    Last edited by ssiruuk2; 11th December 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi
    We were previously using the old V1.6 of AUP informant and that was OK but we wanted to take advantage of the updated features this year So I tested 2.0.2 and rolled it out but now it seem to transpire that, while it's working fine on computers on the same network segment as the server, machines that are off on seperate VLANS (10.10... range rather than 172.16...) don't display the AUP at all - I know that Paul isn't supporting AUP Informant any more but I wanted to know whether this is just a limitation of the software if if we're doing something wrong somewhere - has anyone got it working properly over VLANs? It seems like I should up the TTL at either the client or server but can't find any option to do this, there's a config file on the clients that seems to be empty except for opening and closing tags - is there something we're ment to put in there?
    Thanks in advance guys

*edit* oops wrong thread - ment to post in the official AUP informant support thread that a stick, sorry for necro-ing this one!
    Last edited by Sean; 29th September 2011 at 03:35 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread