+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, EMBC Filtering Inadequacies in Technical; We are embc and use smoothwall just for banned students to force them on to a restricted list of sites. ...
    Thank Post
    We are embc and use smoothwall just for banned students to force them on to a restricted list of sites.
    The only thing putting me off using smoothwall for whole school is supposed reduction in speed by forcing everyone through the smoothwall box rather than direct to embc's proxy servers.
    This is according to embc but as anyone experience of this? We have 1500 students so could be an issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    EMBC users ... please, please, please do me a favour. Without feedback to your LAs things cannot be improved. If you are having problems with your filtering please let people know ...
    Have done that - spoke to the guy in charge of IT Services for schools commenting about the lack of dynamic content filtering, and the response I got was a sort of "it does the job well enough" type response and that it's Becta accredited so it must be good enough filtering. It may be purely something to do with our LA and their relationship with EMBC, but I have no way of telling.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Thanks guys - we love you too

We try extremely hard on the anonymiser/proxy front. Certainly with SSL MITM (we are one of a handful of vendors offering this, in truth) i'd expect 99-point-something effectiveness. We will improve though

Next target: games. I believe the flash filter has made inroads., It is young yet though - so feedback required!

Tom, we recently had an issue with users using TOR portable with Firefox to bypass filtering both Smoothwall and EMBC, I tried it and could get on anything. I've since used software restriction policy to ban all exes which has stopped this.
    Am I right in thinking that if a student can use a TOR program that initiates an SSL connection from the client that Smoothwall cannot filter as it can't analyse the packets.

If this is the case is there a way to ban SSL connections that aren't opened by the Smoothwall?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    @cookie_monster

What's your current setup?

Transparent proxying or nay? Are we using certificate checking and/or SSL MITM?
    Is this UTM firewalled, or other setup?

Me and rob_f will find out what the problem is. These tunneling apps are an affront to my very being!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nile_c View Post
    @cookie_monster

What's your current setup?

Transparent proxying or nay? Are we using certificate checking and/or SSL MITM?
    Is this UTM firewalled, or other setup?

Me and rob_f will find out what the problem is. These tunneling apps are an affront to my very being!

The device is a Smoothwall UTM rack box. I didn't actually set it up it was don't by another member of staff and smoothie support. No rush but if you can tell me where to check those settings I'll let you know.

I can tell you that it's not transparent traffic could potentially bypass the smoothwall if it knew the ISP proxy address, but students are blocked from making those changes and I can't see how the TOR app could find it out.

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12