+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smoothwall database problem in Technical; Noticed that under "optional services" on the Control Page, the database has a red circle/white cross next to it. The ...
    theeldergeek

Smoothwall database problem

Noticed that under "optional services" on the Control Page, the database has a red circle/white cross next to it.

The logs show :

"smoothwall Unable to connect to the database to run reports, or insert new information."

Can anyone shed any light on what this might be and how to resolve it?

Thank Post
    Could be you have run out of diskspace? That often causes the db to go dead, but not the filter.

We have had a few DB pruning issues recently too. May be worth a call to support if it isnt a disk issue.

Are you patched up to FP3 level?

3. Thanks to tom_newton from:

duncane (8th January 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Could be you have run out of diskspace? That often causes the db to go dead, but not the filter.

We have had a few DB pruning issues recently too. May be worth a call to support if it isnt a disk issue.

Are you patched up to FP3 level?
    Hi Tom, thanks for a previous answer by the way.

In relation to that, we did actually increase disk space from 8.00GB to 20.00GB and that seems to have cleared the original problem I reported, but this database 'thing' has surfaced since then, in fact, after we restarted.

Under "Network Guardian Updates", it says "there are no updates", so I guess we are all patched up?
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 26th November 2009 at 03:56 PM.

Thank Post
    I currently have a support call open about the very same thing... I should really chase them up on that

Thank Post
    Ric - give your account manager the ticket and they can chase up if you are waiting for a response from support. I know this week has been busy for them - Tim's out in the states helping set up a support operation there, and they have had a run of ill luck with sick-notes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Hi Tom, thanks for a previous answer by the way.

In relation to that, we did actually increase disk space from 8.00GB to 20.00GB and that seems to have cleared the original problem I reported, but this database 'thing' has surfaced since then, in fact, after we restarted.

Under "Network Guardian Updates", it says "there are no updates", so I guess we are all patched up?
    Yes - sounds like you are all patched up.

The database may have gotten knotted up before you moved to a larger disk. Hard to know exactly how without seeing it - but you could try the database optimise thingy.. sorry, working from home today so I cant give you chapter and verse

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Yes - sounds like you are all patched up.

The database may have gotten knotted up before you moved to a larger disk. Hard to know exactly how without seeing it - but you could try the database optimise thingy.. sorry, working from home today so I cant give you chapter and verse

*bounce*

Optimise database thingy?

Well, I've found this 'thingy', but I'm getting a warning that it will take several hours to optimise. Out database is (apparently) 3gb in size, how long is "several hours" likely to be?

If I do optimise it, does it lose anything already in there? I don't want to corrupt anything!

Ours is OK for a while after a restart, but then it goes red circle/white cross after a while again.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 4th March 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Talk to the guys in support. I would suggest you may have disk issues - is one partition getting full perhaps?

There is a database update which will be slowly rolled out over the next month. This will help with a few issues some folk have been seeing. We're hoping to roll it out starting with the south of England, so you may be in "list 1"

Thank Post
    Tom / Guys,

We're having exactly the same problem, and our system logs are filling up with "smoothwall unable to connect to the database to run reports, or insert new information". Looking back through the logs, it's been happening for a while - just not noticed it as everything else was running fine. When you go to information -> settings -> database backup it says "can't connect - please review settings" and the databasetools perl script tries to connect on port 5432 but fails. Running netstat - nothing appears to be using port 5432 (which would explain the connection failure). We've rebooted (always a good start) and get "Starting Database (if available)" and "Starting Database Migration Process" come up ok towards the end of the second stage boot ?

Nothing else looks out of place on the main -> summary page - so any ideas what could be causing this ?

Thank Post
    Full disk? Perhaps?
    Again - this is the kind of issue that would benefit from support gaining access with a remote viewer tool - the reporting database has more stuff to go wrong than most places, and it is hard for me to give a direct answer to these questions - please believe that if I could I would

If you raise support tickets and PM me the ID, I will keep tabs for you.

3gb db is not large - suggest running the optimise overnight?

Thank Post
    We are getting the same error as above, disc space is /: 17G free, /boot 28m, /var/log 24G, so dont think it's a full disc issue. With no support contract and no budget i'm a little stuck with taking it to support, maybe a re-install would fix lol.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread